Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Posterior Uterus Fibroid, fall thickenning and cyst in right ovary
An_253170 posted:
Hi,

I am posting this on behalf of my mother. She is 49 years old. She has a menstrual cycle of 25 days with heavy bleeding on first 2 days and spotting for remaining 5 days. She is over-weight. As her weight was increasing inspite of regular exercise, the doctor advised for an ultrasound. The results of the ultrasound were as follows:
The uterus is anteverted bulky and has following measurements L: 11.4cm AP: 5.9cm Transverse: 7.1cm. The echotexture is normal. The uterus shows a posterior wall fibroid of 2.7cm * 2.4cm. The endometrial echo is thick and measures 14.6mm. The right ovary showa a 6.3cm*6.2cm*6.2cm thin walled, unilocular cyst with multiple fine, densely packed hypoechoic internal echoes. The left ovary is normal and cul-de-sac is also normal. She also has a CuT in her endometrial cavity. We have done a few tests advised by the gynaec to check if the cyst is malignant or benign. After the tests they have said the cyst is benign and contains water. The doctor has now advised for removal of uterus. But I have read that removal of uterus leads to lot of problems post surgery. Is surgery necessary or can there be another solution to this problem? I am very worried for my mother and want to avoid surgery if it can be. Would be glad if anyone is able to help me on this.

georgiagail responded:
What is the reason the gynecologist is recommending the hysterectomy? Certainly not for the fact that mom is overweight. And certainly not for the cyst on the ovary which has nothing to do with her uterus.

If the fibroid is not causing issues, there is no reason to remove the uterus. If the uterine fibroid is causing a discomfort, there are other ways to treat this rather than a hysterectomy.

Please explain why the recommendation for a hysterectomy as this is a bit confusing.

Gail

Anon_6061 responded:
I agree with Gail. Nothing you said points to the need for hysterectomy or removal of any organs. The ovarian cyst should probably be monitored via ultrasound to make sure it doesn't get any larger. If it does need to be removed at some point, I suggest she seek out a doctor who will remove JUST the cyst via a procedure called "cystectomy" and nothing else. The female sex organs have vital, non-reproductive functions. Kudos to you for watching out for your mom!

Archvig replied to Anon_6061's response:
Thanks a lot Anon and Georgia for your responses. After going through a couple of websites, we took a 2nd opinion from another doctor, and she suggested that hysterectomy is not needed. So, we are not going for any operation right away. Also the responses from you all have definitely confirmed that the operation can be avoided. The doctor had suggested a hysterectomy because as per her opinion my mom has already reached an age for menopause and there is no need for the uterus. But I read lot of articles on the web about the side effects of hysterectomy and was scared about the hormonal imbalances post the operation. So I convinced her to take a second opinion which really prooved useful.

Anon_6061 replied to Archvig's response:
Glad she only had to see one more doctor to be told it's not needed. With the overuse of hysterectomy, it can take a bit of doctor shopping. Yes, hysterectomy has adverse effects even after menopause. Even if the ovaries are kept, they may stop working. The ovaries of a woman with all her parts produce hormones into her 80's. Intact women in the 70-79 age group have premenopausal levels of testosterone, some of which is converted into estrogen.

The uterus and the ligaments that hold it in place are also important for the structural integrity of the pelvis - skeletal integrity and bladder and bowel position and function.

Sexual function can also be adversely affected even if hormonal production isn't compromised.

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 100 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.