Skip to content
No period after taking provera.
Mandy882 posted:
Hi,
wondering if I cant get some advise?....
I have always had irregular periods since age of 11. For the past year my spouse and I have been trying to get pregnant. My doctor recommended me to start provera to induce a period. I started taking provera on June 2. As per my gyn, i started taking Provera 10mg twice a days for five days. I had a heavy period from June 11 to 14. I'm worried because i haven't had another period yet and when when i did this morning a pregnancy test it was negative. I'm not sure what to do next?

thanks.

Anon_6061 responded:
With your history of irregular periods, I wouldn't think a one-time course of Provera could regulate your cycles. Do you have a diagnosis / cause for the irregular cycles? A definitive diagnosis would give you the best chance of getting the proper treatment to maximize fertility (and maybe even other aspects of your health).

Have you consulted a reproductive endocrinologist to get a full workup to check for things like thyroid or pituitary dysfunction or Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)? Treating these types of underlying endocrine or metabolic disorders can normalize the menstrual cycle and improve fertility. If you're overweight (PCOS or not), losing some weight can normalize the menstrual cycle too. Best of luck to you!

Helpful Tips

Weight loss after pregnancy
I had baby number 2 6 months ago and still cannot lose any pregnancy weight. I read hints and tips on the Internet but it is all ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.