Skip to content
Depakote useage
purplelover8989 posted:
I.m 53 and I have not as yet been able to get pregnant, been on Depakote for 19 years off 17 years prior to that and on 2 years prior to that. I really think that being on Depakote is making us infertile and we need to do something about it.

georgiagail responded:
Quite honestly, your changes of becoming pregnant naturally at age 53 are very slim. Egg viability starts to decline in a woman in her mid 40's so even if you haven't entered menopause, becoming pregnant tends to become more difficult with age.

If you were off the Depakote for 17 years prior to being on it for the past 19 years and could not get pregnant then, why do you believe this medication is to blame for making you infertile while you were on it? Have you discussed your inability to get pregnant with your gynecologist during the two decades you were on this medication? Has your partner been tested for his fertility? It is not always the woman who has the fertility problem in a couple who cannot get pregnant.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Missed period...I have an iud(Paragaurd)
Hi just need some advice, my LMP was at the end of october and i havent had another period since. I also have the Paragaurd IUD. It really ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.