Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Vaginal Scar Tissue from Injury
An_253228 posted:
I'm a 20-something virgin who suffered a straddle injury years back. After a very painful gynecological exam, I was informed that I have bands of scar tissue in my lower vagina that I assume formed after the injury. I am unable to use tampons because of the pain and am concerned that I won't be able to have sexual intercourse because of this scar tissue. The gyn was able to reach my cervix in the manual exam, but not without severe discomfort/pain and anxiety on my part.

I am told that I can have surgery to remove the scar tissue, but are there other ways to remove it or work around it without surgery? Supposedly scar tissue can just form again after surgery-- is this true?

I am so frustrated as an adult that I cannot use tampons, and am worried that I will never have comfortable sex unless I can fix this. Please help!

georgiagail responded:
You might want to read up about Vaginismus and some of the treatments available.

Unfortunately, in your case you are already partially convinced that intercourse will be painful for you because of this injury. This is not necessarily the case as attempting to insert a tampon is uncomfortable for many women as are gynecological examinations; it is very different with intercourse when a woman is aroused and lubricated.

At any rate, this may help:

http://women.webmd.com/guide/vaginismus-causes-symptoms-treatments

Gail

Helpful Tips

Hysterectomy
I am having heavy bleeding and sever pain with it every month that it affects my daily living when I have it I even had to drop out of ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.