Skip to content
abnormal pap and hpv test
An_253275 posted:
I received the news that my pap test shows abnormal cervical cells and I am positive for HPV. I am very nervous and scared this means I either have or will develop cervical cancer. The nurse who gave me the news explained that I should not "freak out" and that I will need to have a coloscopy done (not sure if I spelled that right).

I am 29 and recently had a new partner about 2-3 months ago. I have only had 2 partners. I'm trying to figure out if I contracted HPV from my new partner, and if so, can the cells change that quickly? Everything I'm reading on-line suggests that cell changes are gradual. This is another reason I'm freaking out, plus I have a history of thyroid cancer. I am going to call the nurse who told me about this tomorrow to ask some questions about it. Does anyone have any reassurance or guidance, or can you suggest any questions I should ask? I don't have my follow-up until the end of next month so I'm even more concerned. Thanks for your help!!

georgiagail responded:
HPV is a very common virus. In most cases it does not progress to cervical cancer. Often the colposcopy takes care of the issue of the abnormal cervical cells. There can be many reasons for abnormal cells, including infections on the surface of the cervix. The colposcopy will allow your physician to get a better idea of what is going on.

It is impossible to tell which partner gave you the HPV. Your history of thyroid cancer plays no role in this.

Gail

lindarosaleerob responded:
A colposcopy is no big deal, don't worry about that. Find out what strains of HPV you have and how many are cancer causing.
I think because more women are effected by this it's not made important. PAP smears with DNA tests of the strains are important for you now, forever. The virus hopefully goes dormant but is forever in you. They say almost everyone has this virus but I don't take it lightly. Be prudent with your doctor visits. Read , read , read and ask lots of questions. These viruses are just starting to get the proper attention. The possibility of cervical cancer is never no big deal. PS gentlemen you can get cancer of the penis and throat from this virus. You are young work on getting your immune system as strong as possible. I don't think you should freak out either but it is time for the medical community to not be so casual. Dr. Oz did a show all about HPV a few weeks ago , it was informative, try to watch it.

lindarosaleerob replied to georgiagail's response:
having thyroid cancer may have weakened her immune system ,
so it does play a role in fighting the HPV viruses. The colposcopy is diagnostic , not a cure.

georgiagail replied to lindarosaleerob's response:
OP stated she had a history of thyroid cancer, not an active thyroid cancer.

Gail

MomInAurora responded:
Hey there, I agree with all these comments. I had the same thing happen to me at age 27. I'd been married for 4 years already and only ever had two partners and no other risk factors for the virus, so it is just a very common virus, don't stress about how you got it, focus on your health. I had the colposcopy, but my strain turned out to be the cancerous type and it was aggressive, the pre-cancerous cells were becoming invasive. I had a doctor that freaked out actually, I didn't, which is unusual. She told me to get a hysterectomy at 27. Well, I got a second opinion thank goodness. I ended up having a LEEP procedure where they remove the cancerous tissue from the head of the cervix with an electrified wire or they can freeze the cells if they aren't growing into the tissue. It wasn't a pleasant procedure, but it was done in the medical office. It was caught in time and I didn't need any other treatment. I am now 44 and have a 11 yr old son and even though the LEEP caused some scar tissue and I had to have a C-Section to have my son, I am so glad I got it taken care of quickly instead of freaking out and waiting out of fear. There is a lot they can do now, so make sure you know all your options and get a good supportive doctor. I haven't had any abnormal pap smears since then. Good luck and you aren't alone.

Anon_6061 responded:
HPV infections are very common and most types are transient and cause no problems especially in women under age 30. HPV types 16 and 18 are responsible for 70% of cervical cancers. Also, rather harmless conditions (such as inflammation) can cause abnormal pap smears so it's generally recommended that an abnormal pap be repeated before undergoing additional testing or treatment.

For the reasons above, pap smear guidelines were revised to every 3 years versus every year starting at age 21. Too many women were being overtreated for abnormal paps that would have more than likely resolved on their own or weren't even precancerous cells. Typically, cervical cancer takes MANY years to develop. Not only is overtreatment costly, it can cause harm (such as reduced fertility and pre-term labor). Of course, any woman with a history of abnormal paps will require more frequent monitoring.

These links are helpful in understanding pap smears, HPV, and cervical changes:
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/detection/Pap-HPV-testing
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/understandingcervicalchanges
http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/pap/
http://www.thehpvtest.com/about-hpv/high-and-low-risk-hpv-types/?LanguageCheck=1

So read up to put your mind at ease and understand your options.

mysticalchic responded:
also went through this. the colposcopy did not hurt at all as the cervix does not have nerves....it was as easy as a pap test. eat healthy too and it will keep your immune system stronger. do not worry as worrying will not help. up to 80% of women test as HPV as some point in their lifetime and for most of them it disappears as the body fights it off. good luck.

Ilmnhvm77 replied to mysticalchic's response:
I beg your pardon the cervix does have nerves and it hurt horribly

Ilmnhvm77 replied to Ilmnhvm77's response:
My question is I just keep having abnormal paps keep having the coloscopy keep having the leeps when does it.all stop? Any advice

uncertain1984 responded:
Ok, this may sound rude but normally it comes from multiple partners or maybe just a partner that has had a taste of his fruit before he got with you. I am speaking from experience! Do not get that cone unless you do not want to have any more children or never want any. I had one preformed in 2007 after my second daughter and I was asked by my nurse did I want any more children because scare tissue can block your tubes:sure enough here I am 6yrs later wanting more children but cant have them. Dnt be afraid though. If you ever had a cyst on your ovaries that can cause those results too. If you need to talk one on one I can email you my number. I know first hand how worried you are. I cried and thought I was about to die. But its so many different strends of HPV, it may have not came from a sexual partner. Remember, they are having young girls get vaccinated at 13 to prevent those strends.

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 102 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.