Skip to content
Stopping the pill
manos77 posted:
I have been on the pill for the last 23 years and am thinking about stopping as since moving to the USA my brand is not produced here and the 2 I was told were the same left me spotting every day for 3 months and I cannot afford the repeated doctor visits, any ideas/tips/suggestions?

georgiagail responded:
About what? Stopping oral contraceptives. Other birth control alternatives?

Gail

manos77 replied to georgiagail's response:
Stopping the pill and other alternatives. Has anyone had any side effects after stopping the pill?

georgiagail replied to manos77's response:
The most common side effect is that many women do not see a return to a regular menstrual schedule for an extended period of time (several months is not unusual; up to a year in unusual situations).

In addition, if your menstrual schedule was irregular before you starting hormone containing birth control, it is likely to return to that schedule once you stop it.

Gail

JenLWoo responded:
I was on the pill for 18 years, then switched to Mirena IUD about 2 years ago. Overall, I am very happy. I don't really have periods at all anymore. The only negative is my skin is now very oily - just like it was in high school. The pill was blocking that, and the hormones in Mirena are very low and don't really circulate in the blood.

Helpful Tips

itching
several years ago I had this same problem...intense itching in the vaginal area, but no discharge or odor. I saw several doctors who said i ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.