Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Abnormal Pap
    mamacas posted:
    Hi All,
    I am 43 years old and had a routine PAP come back Abnormal for the first time in my life. I had a Hysterectomy almost 4 years ago, due to Adenomyosis (sp?). Still have my Cervix, but ovaries & Uterus were removed. Anyway, my Pap results stated "Glandular Cells" were present possibly caused by Vaginal Adenosis, Goblet or Mucinous Cell Metaplasia..... The nurse/Dr suggests a Colposcopy. I have been reading and reading and cannot find anything that answers questions. I understand the Pre Cancer cells, (still don't know if I am positive HPV or not), but I want to know how bad is the Glandular Cell type? Is this common for malignancy or more commonly benign? The nurse, upon telling me the results, said this is more alerting as I don't have my Uterus?? Can anyone give me more information?? I'm somewhat concerned. There are so many variables to the Abnormal Paps & Cervical Cancer. I just want an idea what's happening!!! Thanks!!!
    georgiagail responded:
    Glandular cells are normally found on the cervix as they produce mucous for the cervix (and, if you had your uterus, for that organ).

    The problem is finding atypical Glandular cells. Attached is an article discussing the outcome of finding these and the risk of further development into cancer based mainly on the age of the woman.

    Your physician will likely have more information on your status after the colposcopy.

    mamacas replied to georgiagail's response:
    I appreciate your reply Gail. I'm still not totally clear on everything. The lab results said possible "Goblet of mucinous metaplasia cells" does that make a difference as far as the seriousness??

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Expert Blog

    Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

    From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.