Skip to content
too much protein?
newgirl2010 posted:
I am around 100 pounds and about 5'5''. I know that is too little weight for my height. I have been attempting to improve my diet. One macronutrient I found I was low in was protein. I started to increase my protein signficantly. Mainly, I started eating more fish or some beef everyday and snacked on peanut butter. PB is calorie dense and high protein. Now, looking back at my journals, I realize I have been exceeding protein amounts in the last month. Often times I would get 50-90 grams a days (with a few days being below 45).

I know there can be adverse affects associated with high protein intake.
1.) how much protein should i really consume;
2.) could a month of high protein eating have caused unknown damage?

Thank you.

georgiagail responded:
1. Since you're underweight, figure on 1 gram per kilogram of body weight. At 100 pounds your weight is 45 kilograms.

2. No. If you are young (and I'm going to assume you are) the extra protein will be converted to fat which seems to be the goal you are shooting for.

Gail

newgirl2010 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks, Gail. I am in my mid-thirties.

to clarify, eating extra protein will make me gain weight faster than if i was eating the same amount of calories in foods without protein? I always thought it was an excess of caloric intake that made one gain weight (not specific foods).

georgiagail replied to newgirl2010's response:
Nope. Calories are calories; doesn't matter if they are from protein or other sources.

Your body will use the amount of protein that it needs to maintain your immune system, replenish normal cell turnover in organs, blood, skin, etc. (since these are all protein containing substances) and simply convert the extra protein it doesn't need into fat for storage.

Keep in mind that many higher protein foods (like the peanut butter you mentioned) are calorie dense not from the actual protein (which contains 4 kcalories per gram) but rather from the additional fat (at 9 kcalories per gram) that accompanies some protein foods such as cheese, whole milk, the peanut butter, choicer cuts of meats, ground beef, chicken with skin on, etc.

Gail

Helpful Tips

how can a woman restore sensation in her nipples/breast?
since my last pregnancy in 2005, i have no sensation in my breast when stimulated. If anything, it hurts. I am 43 years old and I know I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.