No period in 10 going on 11 months
Brooki3 posted:
Hello! I could really use some advice. I'm 20 years old, 5'2 and 105 lbs. I am relatively healthy (I just avoid exercising like it's the plague though my work is plenty of exercise to stay healthy). I'm not overly stressed, pregnant, anorexic, or anemic. I'm sexually active, but rarely. My period has just disappeared for 10 nearly 11 months. I have pain all through my back and legs randomly every week or two weeks. My doctor has put me on different birth control at least twice now and he has put me on additional estrogen pills to try to force it. I quit my birth control a month and a half ago around the 9 month mark. I have just started my period again today. I literally feel like some one has beaten me with a sledge hammer. It hurts like hell. I wouldn't be so concerned if this hasn't happened before. Four months before it disappeared the second time it had Been gone for 11 months. I only had four months of a period before it was gone again. During that four month span I would bleed heavily 3 or four weeks a month. And by heavily I mean I was spending 40 bucks a month on super plus tampons. Anyone have any idea what is going on? Or has anyone gone through anything similar? My doctor has been absolutely no help (I hate to put him down like that but it's true) and I can't afford to switch doctors. Even a guess is better than me just freaking out right now and can give me some perspective on if this is an emergency type situation.
Thank you for reading this!!

Anon_6061 responded:
Birth control can sometimes cause your periods to stop completely. But I'm not sure I understand if these episodes of missed periods were always while on some form of birth control. A thyroid or pituitary problem can cause menstrual cycle irregularities. So can Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). You said you can't afford to change doctors. Is there another doctor in that group you can see? Or is there a health clinic (such as Planned Parenthood) in your area?

Mattsmom16 responded:
I have been on depo provera which stops your period. In myopinion it is the best birth control they came out with. Not sure if you tried this one. It stops your period. You get the shot every 3 months. If you get off it, it takes 6 months to a year for your cycle to get back on track. Minimal side effects.