Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
frustrasted with cervical dysplagia
An_253768 posted:
I see many people post about cervical dysplagia and I would like some thoughts. I have been positive for high risk HPV for the past 6 years. In those 6 years I have not had one normal pap smear. Each year the results range from LSIL to HSIL. I have had countless colposcopies and 2 punch biopies that all come back as pre cancerous cell changes. I'm so frustrated with going through all this my doc last year and I decided to go ahead with a LEEP procedure she took a large area and was told everything should be fine. I wanted the bad cells to be gone once and for all. Unfortunitely it wasn't the case. Came back with not clear margins and I wasn't informed that during my follow up and since moved to another state. Went back for my 8 month check up that I was to have as my last doctor told me to do. He confirmed that I again didn't have a normal PAP and will be going in later this week for another colposcopy to see the next steps. My question is at what point can I request a partial hysterectomy? I would love for this to just be done with and no more biopsies and false hope, I don't have any children but my husband and I are content with adopting or freezing my eggs for a surrogate. I know woman and patients that have elective double mastectomy to prevent getting breast cancer if they test positive for the gene. Can I have the same right with my gyno to ask to have it removed? Or since I read so many posts about other woman still having abnormal PAP test after a total hysterectomy would I be silly to go through something that drastic? It just is literally driving me crazy and every 6 months it comes back to haunt me and it isn't getting better but most of the time it has continued to get worse.

georgiagail responded:
You can discuss surgical removal of your cervix with your physician anytime you wish.

Often the sticking point is your insurance which will not pay for this surgery until less invasive treatments such as colposcopies and LEEPs have been tried first. These have been done without solving the problem.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Hysterectomy
I am having heavy bleeding and sever pain with it every month that it affects my daily living when I have it I even had to drop out of ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.