Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
HELP!!!
Erin0985 posted:
I went off my birth control pill 3 months ago. First period after being off the pill came on time(28 day cycle). My blood was bright red and lasted for 4 days. second period was 4 days late and lasted about 4-5 days. this month I am 12 days late. I have taken 3 pregnancy test (clear blue easy)all negative. and now my nipples are sore. What should I do??? I am waiting on my insurance to kick in.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
You're more than likely fine. Remember, when on the pill, the hormones in the pill determined when you bled, not your body. When going off the pill, it can take your body several months (and in rare cases up to a year) to learn how to regulate its own hormones and until then, you will be irregular.

Also, if your period before going on the pill was irregular, you will got back to that pattern.

georgiagail responded:
It's important to keep in mind that while you were on the birth control pills, it determined when you bled, not your own body.

Thus, it is not unusual that when you go off these, your schedule can also change. If your cycle was abnormal before starting birth control, it is likely to return to this after you stop.

From your description of your sore nipples, it sounds as if your menstrual period is likely to begin soon but is simply late this cycle.

Gail

Erin0985 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks Gail. I guess by body is going through a lot right now. Don't remember how irregular I was before the pill that was almost 13 years ago.

georgiagail replied to Erin0985's response:
It can take a while for your body to adjust to life without these extra hormones. Many women do not experience any menstruation for several months (and, in some cases, up to a year) after they stop the birth control.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Hysterectomy
I am having heavy bleeding and sever pain with it every month that it affects my daily living when I have it I even had to drop out of ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.