Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Something's not right!
sandycoils posted:
Hi. I'm a 4 year old mother of 4. I have had problems with painful and very heavy periods and ovulation for about 18 months now. I've missed work, ruined clothes and bed sheets, and even had a trip to the ER for this. Last month I bled for 21 days before it ended. I've had all types of exams and ultrasounds and no one ever finds anything - no cyst, polyps, fibroids, tumors, endometriosis, NOTHING !!!! I've tried taking molasses, birth control pills, and even a prescription my OB/GYN gave me for a pill that helps with clotting to slow/stop my period - nothing has helped/worked. I'm at my wits end and really want a hysterectomy now so that I don't have to continue to go through this much longer.

Has anyone ever had anything like this happen? If so, how did you remedy it? What steps did you take? How long did you deal with the problems? If there is a medical professional that could weigh in on this, I would greatly appreciate that as well.

sandycoils responded:
This should say "41 year old mother of 4." (I thought I proofed it)

georgiagail replied to sandycoils's response:
Here is an excellent article that discusses some of the treatments for menorrhagia (i.e., heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding). While a hysterectomy is one solution, there are others that are less invasive that may help with these symptoms:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/menorrhagia/DS00394

Gail

Anon_6061 responded:
Sandy - Did you by chance have a tubal (hence the "coils" in your name)? Tubals can cause heavy periods. Of course, regardless of the cause, you need some relief!

Was the "pill that helps with clotting" Lysteda (tranexamic acid)? It's not listed on the Mayo Clinic link but it is an effective med for heavy bleeding according to this link http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0015970/table/ch8.t1/?report=objectonly. Of course, that doesn't mean it works in all women or at the standard dose.

I had a hysterectomy and wish I could un-do it. Most women I've connected with complain of weight gain. I haven't had that problem but it's changed my body inside and out along with many other issues including complete loss of desire and impaired response. Also, your ovaries have about a 40% chance of shutting down due to loss of blood flow and uterine/ovarian feedback loop. This can cause a more severe menopause and has medically documented increased health risks.

Hope you can get this bleeding under control.

sandycoils responded:
Thanks for the replies ladies. (SN: SandyCoils references my {sandy colored, coily} hair. LOL) I did have my tubes tied about 5 years ago, but only recently started to have problems with my cycle being uncontrollable.

Yes, Lysteda was the drug my GYN prescribed for me, but it didn't really help. It slowed the bleeding a little while I passed abnormally large clots. Even with Lysteda, my cycle wasn't manageable. I gave it 4 months like she asked, and truly it wasn't a huge difference when I came off of it.

My mother ended up going through something similar to what I'm going through now, except she continued to bleed and needed 2 blood transfusions and emergency surgery. She's done well with her hysterectomy and hasn't had any issues and she is now 62 and has never had a cramp, hot flash, or anything. I'm hoping that heredity will be on my side with this one.

I had my hysterectomy at age 47 and don't miss that puppy one bit.

I went through menopause without a whimper of a hot flash either (I'm 61 now). Kept my ovaries so I never was aware of when I went through menopause as there were no symptoms.

I work with many women who have undergone hysterectomies (I work in health care) and NONE of them have complained of weight gain after the surgery and all are happy as all get they went through this.

While this is major surgery, take the "horror" stories of a hysterectomy with a large grain of salt so to speak.

Gail

sandycoils replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks Gail. I have done my research and it would be just my luck that I would choose EA and STILL have to get a hysterectomy. I would just like to have the entire ordeal be finished! I have already braced myself for it, and grieved and now I'm ready to be free of the burden of all that has been happening.

Anon_6061 responded:
Unfortunately, a lot of women do take the negatives with a grain of salt. But perusing some hysterectomy forums will reveal that these negatives are very real.

The following forums on Hystersisters are evidence of the long-term problems - The Road Less Traveled, Separate Surgeries, Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues, Sexual Dysfunction after Hysterectomy, Aching Hearts. And these don't even include all the separate Hystersisters forums for hormone and post-op issues.

I found that women who'd told me they were fine and some who kept mum before my surgery were much more forthcoming afterwards. Several told me their sex lives were destroyed. And a few joked that they got to get new wardrobes (because they gained weight).

I personally wish I had done things very differently.

Since you mother has gone through having a hysterectomy, perhaps you can discuss her experience with her. Or perhaps you know some other women who have undergone this.

Many have and, again, while it is considered major surgery, I think you will find a good number who did this for the reasons you are considering it were glad they made the choice.

Sometimes I honestly believe that those who are strongly against hysterectomy care less about the women who post with their medical issues than they do pushing their own agendas.

Gail

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 100 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.