Skip to content
Thickened Endometrial Lining
An_254001 posted:
Hello,

I am 48 years old and have been having irregular monthly cycles. Had an ultrasound done exactly 7 days before my period started and the uterine lining was 11mm. My doctor says that it was "abnormal." I was always told while I was trying to conceive children that the thicker the uterine lining, the better. Also, to my understanding the uterine lining is always at it's thickest before your period starts. So, why is she referring to this as abnormal? Any help would be appreciated, as I am very confused!

georgiagail responded:
http://radiopaedia.org/articles/endometrial-thickness

If concerned about what she told you, you need to ask your physician why she felt this 11 mm lining was abnormal.

Gail

Anon_6061 responded:
Definitely cause for confusion. As the link Georgiagail provided indicates, the lining can get up to 11mm about mid-cycle and then increase to 16mm before menses. It's best to get an ultrasound 1 or 2 days after your period ends when the lining is thinnest.

It's also important to know that the irregular cycles of perimenopause (due to missed ovulations) can cause the lining to thicken more than normal. But the body will typically resolve this thickening over time (the reason heavy bleeding is common during peri). And if not, there are progestins to do the job.

cal65 replied to Anon_6061's response:
Thank you all for your responses. They are very helpful. Here's a little more information about my situation. I just had a normal PAP in August. LMP was June 25. In late September (after three months without a period) I was experiencing bloating and a lower backache. I was concerned about ovarian cancer so I had a pelvic exam and an ultrasound. Doctor said during the pelvic exam that I was in the luteal phase. I had an ultrasound and the uterus measured at 11mm. My doctor called and said that I needed to have a period to thin out the lining. She told me to take Depo Provera for 10 days. She said I wasn't in menopause, and that one ovary still has follicles. She said to repeat the ultrasound in the future, but there wasn't any urgency. I never ended up taking the Depo Provera, as my period started on it's own, exactly 7.5 days after the ultrasound. Then I got a call from the nurse (who was on vacation while all of this was happening) and she wanted to know if I was taking the Depo Provera, and wanted to schedule a follow up ultrasound. I told her that my period started on it's own, and asked her if I could wait or skip the ultrasound, as I have a very high deductible insurance plan and all procedures have to be paid by me. I told her that I had done some research on my own, and read that 11mm wasn't really out of the ordinary. She was a bit short with me when I said that and said, "While it is comforting that your period started on it's own, a measurement of 11mm is abnormal, even one week before your period, and a repeat ultrasound is important to rule out hyperplasia."
The phone conversation with the nurse took place late on a Friday afternoon, so as you can imagine, it is causing me a bit of stress this weekend!

Anon_6061 replied to cal65's response:
It doesn't make sense to me that the nurse said 11mm is abnormal when up to 16mm is normal. And it doesn't make sense to take a drug that you don't need.

Unfortunately, we have to do our own research and not always rely on what we're told. Maybe it's time to find a new gynecologist.

I was over-treated by my gynecologist of many years and have been paying the price ever since.

Helpful Tips

might be pregnant in 3 months rubella vaccination?
My wife is vaccinated rubella vaccine, doctor was note "she is not pregnant within 3 months". If she's pregnant in that time, what is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.