Skip to content
? starting menopause?
An_254033 posted:
I have had a period monthly, but when first starting, it's like I am hemorrhaging! then tappers off... last anywhere from 2 to 5 days, but this last month I have been bleeding on and off, sometime lightly and some heavlily... is this normal for menopause, no pain, maybe some cramps , but breast very tender??? should I seek help? or just put up? I am 48 years old

georgiagail responded:
Why would you assume that bleeding lightly on and off is due to menopause? There could be other, serious medical reasons for abnormal vaginal bleeding. Seek medical assistance.

Gail

Anon_6061 responded:
Based on your age (48) this could very well be perimenopause. The cycles can get crazy in the years leading up to menopause - longer, shorter, heavier, lighter. Many women find birth control helpful to level things out if they get too troublesome. Loosing too much iron is the biggest concern if bleeding too much.

Helpful Tips

itching
several years ago I had this same problem...intense itching in the vaginal area, but no discharge or odor. I saw several doctors who said i ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.