Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Period in the months after taking provera?
mel_danielle15 posted:
I'm 22 years old and didn't have a period for 7 months, my doctor prescribed 10mg for 10 days to make me have a period. After the 10 days, I had my first period in 7 months and now, it's been 2 months since the provera and I haven't had another period. I was under the impression that it would cause my cycle to become regular again and now that it's not.. I'm not sure what to think about it. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on this, it would be greatly appreciated!

newgirl2010 responded:
prior to you losing your period...did you have regular periods? Also, have you lost or gained significant weight, or are you working out signficantly?

mel_danielle15 replied to newgirl2010's response:
I always had a regular period every month and I haven't gained too much weight. I did gain some, I have hypothyroid and hashimotos so I'm not sure if that might have something to do with it. I had been reading about if you didn't have a period then you might not be able to become pregnant down the road and I don't want that.

Anon_6061 replied to mel_danielle15's response:
You may need an adjustment of your thyroid medication to regulate your menstrual cycle. With Hashimotos, thyroid function can vary a bit so it can be harder to regulate the thyroid and resulting metabolism.

Helpful Tips

birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 73 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.