Skip to content
Ovarian Cysts
An_254419 posted:
I had a hysterectomy 7 years ago. I have only my left ovary left and get a lot of cysts. 2 years ago I had one that pushed my bladder out and had to be repaired. I have my 3rd ovarian cyst since June of this year now. I have been to the E R 2 times and gynecologist once in the last 5 weeks.I go back next week for another ultrasound. The cyst I had then was 4.9 cm and started going down on its own but hadn't completely gone my last visit. It was still a 3.3. The pain had been really bad and stopped me from working for a week. The pain went away and I thought it had went away on its own.My gyn told me if it hadn't ruptured in 6 weeks when he wanted me back I would have to have surgery.He couldn't do anything for it then because insurance wouldn't want to pay for it unless I waited that length of time. I am not sure if it is the same cyst or if the last one went away and I have a new one but the pain is starting to get really bad again. I have a lot of pressure on my bladder and burning this time. I feel like I need to go to the bathroom even after just going. It doesn't burn when I go to the bathroom just feels like my bladder is burning along with the pressure. The pain from the cyst is a dull ache all the time and a bad period cramp but at times I feel sharp pains like electrical shocks that shoot from my lower left side down into the top of my leg. I started getting nauseous today and don't have an appetite. Do you think the burning could be from the cyst?? I see the dr again next week and don't know if I should call tomorrow and see if he will see me early. I know if I call they will tell me to go to the ER. I really don't want to do that. I would really appreciate any advice. He mentioned taking out the cyst. With all the trouble I am having should I ask him to take the ovary out?? I had my right one removed with my hysterectomy because I had a cyst on it and when the dr went to take it off the whole ovary ruptured.

Anon_6061 responded:
I had a hysterectomy and ovaries removed and the after effects have been a nightmare even though I'm on HRT. So if it were me, I'd pursue other options before resorting to having the ovary removed. If your ovary continues to function (they sometimes fail after hysterectomy), it may continue to produce hormones into your 80's which has many health and quality of life benefits.

I know this sounds crazy since you don't need birth control but birth control pills are oftentimes effective at preventing ovarian cysts. Have you ever tried that?

browng replied to Anon_6061's response:
Yes I have tried that many times. Birth control always made me so sick and the dr would stop them. I can't remember for sure but I think the gyn told me the ovary wasn't functioning as it should. The pressure and pain all the time is what is getting the best of me. Thanks

Anon_6061 replied to browng's response:
Well these ongoing cysts are an indication that the ovary is not functioning normally (which seems to be fairly common after hysterectomy). But the ovary may still be producing a decent amount of hormones. Good luck in getting this resolved!

I saw my gyn today. Yes I have a new cyst. It is only 1.9 cm right now. I have had a lot of pain and it is really affecting my life. If it were a couple of times a year, it would be more bearable, but I am averaging at least one a month. At times it hurts to walk. He comes in and tells me there is nothing to do as of right now. This is my 3rd one since July. Tells me birth control was an option for me. Laughs then says but you have no uterus so that is useless to you. He asks me to describe my pain. I tell him it is a dull throb all the time with sharp pains at times that sometimes shoot down my leg and sometimes makes me sick. He laughs again and says that isn't ovarian pain. That is back pain. I know the difference in back pain and ovarian cyst pain. I have went through this cyst pain for 21 years and back pain for 16 years. Then he tells me there is nothing to do for this. Wait 2 more months and see what happens. Has them take my blood to see if I may be going through menopause. I have cried all evening since coming home. I don't know how much longer I can stand this pain, especially on top of fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis. I'm so depressed lately. He made me feel like I was stupid. If I had went in and asked for pain meds then I could understand him acting this way. I take nothing but ibuprofen 800 and don't want anything else. I just want relief.

I am sorry your doctor was so condescending and offered no solution either. How long have you had fibromyalgia and arthritis? Those both can be triggered or worsened when estrogen levels fall. So it's good you had blood work for hormone levels.

I was diagnosed with fibro 5 years ago and rheumatoid a year. My tests for rheumatoid have been high for years but my rheumatologist wanted to wait and keep testing before he gave me stuck me with the disease. At first the Dr.s thought it was lupus. My grandmother and mother both have it. My levels are high but not high enough to diagnose lupus. My inflammation levels are going up every month. I am on low doses of sulfasalazine along with wellbutrin and neurontin. I am thinking of seeing another gyn for a second opinion. I just dont know if I should or take him for what he said and try to wait 2 more months. I honestly think that since his office was bought out by a local hospital they are too busy to look up and do whatever to get through the day. That is how he has acted the last 3 times I have seen him. He also laughed at me for what he called my story of the cyst being do big it pushed my bladder out and had to be repaired. I have the medical records to prove it.

The bladder tends to drop down after hysterectomy so that may be why your gyn laughed off your mention of the cyst displacing your bladder (still inappropriate behavior though).

If your hormone panel shows low estrogen, taking some estrogen may help the fibro and arthritis pain. My joints (especially my knees) hurt when my estrogen is low. Here are some articles about the link between low estrogen and joint pain and arthritis:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2787275/
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/30060.php
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/03/100330075916.htm
There are also a number of posts on Hystersisters about joint pain.

My bladder had fallen once already and I had it repaired at the same time of my hysterectomy. It was still in place until I got the cyst. The dr. told me he would wait until I came back in 8 weeks to give me my hormone level results. I am just wondering if I should get a second opinion or wait it out. I know I will have another cyst by the end of Dec. That is how it has been since June. Before that it was every other month.

How are you doing - any improvement in the pain from the cyst? If you want your hormone results now, you can request a copy from your doctor's office.

I am feeling much better with the cyst.. I still have a dull ache but nothing like I have had for the last 6 months. The cold weather has flared up my Fibro. I was thinking of calling the dr. and getting my results. I am just a little leery to after the way he treated me last visit. I was thinking of finding another dr. and getting a second opinion. Thanks for you replies and advice. I really appreciate it.

Glad to hear the pain has subsided. You could try calling the doctor's office and see if they'll mail your lab results. Even if you have to go in and pick up a copy, you shouldn't need to see the doctor. And if you are going to get a second opinion, it can be helpful to have a copy of your key medical records showing your surgical history and history of cysts.

I have another cyst. I have the pain and pressure on my bladder up to my ribcage. I know people think I am crazy when I say it hurts up to my ribs. The Drs at the er told me the last 2 times I had to go that it was because there is no room in there already and when the cyst grows it pushes on everything around it. This one started about a week ago. I can't get into the Dr. until my regular appt on the 28th. The pain got better for a day or 2 but it is back and I have some hard pains at times. I wish there was something I could do to take care of this. When I get this pain I don't feel like doing anything and am grouchy. I really don't mean to be. I'm so aggravated with this.

I am sorry to hear this. So a cyst was seen on ultrasound? How big is it? It must be fairly large if it's pressing on other organs. Was any fluid seen in the abdomen? If it's leaking, that can cause infection and pain. Are you going to see a different doctor since yours treated you so badly?

I have pains off and on under my rib cage (as well as my actual rib cage hurting) since my hysterectomy but mine are not from ovarian cysts since my ovaries were removed (I assume I don't have ovarian remnant syndrome). Mine must be bowel or gallbladder related. My bowels have been "screwed up" since surgery.

I finally went for my dr.s appt today. Let me start by saying I have had pain for the last 2 weeks again. I have been dredding having to go to the bathroom because it hurts in the same spot as my cysts this time though. It makes me cry most times. Friday night I was taking my meds and getting ready to go to bed and a stabbing pain hit. I took some motrin and went to bed. It would hit about every couple of minutes and would take my breath. Saturday I wake up feeling better. I am sitting on the couch on the phone with my mom when it hits even harder this time. I held onto my husband it hurt so bad. I went and laid down and held a blanket tight and crying. This lasts about an hour and then started to let up a little. Took about another hour or so for it to die down enough to get up. I had a lot of pressure like I have had before after a cyst has ruptured. I assume this is what has happened again except this pain was a lot different. It hurt a lot more. I am achy and crampy just like I have done every other time for a few days. I still have the pain today and pressure. I go to my appt today to see the dr because he is suppose to do another ultrasound and give me the results from my horomone level test from last month, knowing I have had another ruptured cyst. I sit there 2 hours before they call me back for the ultrasound. The woman doing it tells me I have no cyst and no fluid in my abdomen so it couldn't have been one to rupture. She can see the follicles where I have had them though. She says it couldn't have been my ovary causing the pain. I explain to her about hurting to use the bathroom, cant stretch out in the bed at night for pain and pulling feeling and can't have sex with my husband. She asks about previous cysts after just telling me she saw where there have been cysts and says I haven't had them. I told her the ones I knew for sure and the sizes and where the ultrasounds and catscans were taken. She goes back on her computer and pulls up the ones from the office and says well thats great news. You don't have them now and I will go out and let you dress and get you an appt for you to come in and speak to the dr later. I thought that was the purpose was he wanted to give me my results and tell me what to do next and I tell her this. She goes out and comes back and said she just talked to the dr and he wants me to do a blood test to check for ovarian cancer because my ovary is quite enlarged and come back in 2 months for the repeat ultrasound. If I wanted to I could get another appt also to talk to him later and discuss going in with a scope. She suggests it could be bowel or a scar tissue problem. The internal ultrasound has caused me to hurt worse again. I am so upset and hurt, I don't know what else to do. This pain is real and is getting worse every month. I just wonder if I should go ahead and try to find another dr.

Helpful Tips

Thickened endometrial lining
Hi I am 52, stopped my periods 5 months ago - assumed menopause, feeling very bloated for the past 3 months - doc ordered hormone test - ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.