Skip to content
Period after a year
swimming_sue posted:
I am 51 years old. I have not had a period in a year. I started my period today. I was hoping I was done with this.

georgiagail responded:
Generally when someone your age has not had a menstrual period for a year or so they are said to have entered menopause.

If bleeding starts again this may not be due to menstruation. There can be other medical reasons for vaginal bleeding; the most common ones are benign growths in the uterus that can cause bleeding if they expand into blood vessels on the surface of the uterus. Other, more serious tumor issues can also cause this bleeding.

The issue is that while there is a tendency to assume that ALL bleeding is due to a period, the fact is there can be other causes of abnormal vaginal bleeding and these would need to be looked into medically.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Weight loss after pregnancy
I had baby number 2 6 months ago and still cannot lose any pregnancy weight. I read hints and tips on the Internet but it is all ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.