Skip to content
abnoromal bleeding after periods have due to surgery
An_254612 posted:
I had 2 ruptured ectopic pregnancies both resulting in emergency surgery. The first surgery they took my fallopian tube and left my ovary. I continued to have periods, although they were irregular. Approximately 7 years later I had another ruptured ectopic pregnancy. This time they took both my fallopian tube and ovary. After this I had a few very light, very irregular periods and then they stopped completely. This was about 7 years ago. Last week I spotted bright red blood and had cramps and stabbing pains which still continue at times. I am 44. My first question is it possible to have a period with only 1 ovary and no fallopian tubes? Secondly, are these signs of any female cancer? I have a history of female cancer in my family.
Thank you,
georgiagail responded:
Yes; it is possible to have a menstrual period with only one ovary and no fallopian tubes. The fallopian tubes play no role in triggering menstruation as explained in the attached:

However, a more important concern for you is that you have had stabbing pains, cramping and bright red blood after 7 years of NO menstrual periods. It is unlikely that what you are experiencing is a menstrual period but rather abnormal bleeding that has nothing to do with menstruation.

No one here can tell you if these symptoms are due to female cancer but it would be a good idea to get these symptoms looked into medically.


Helpful Tips

I am having heavy bleeding and sever pain with it every month that it affects my daily living when I have it I even had to drop out of ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.