Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Vaginal Hysterectomy
jessg6798 posted:
I have to have a hysterectomy due to an enlarged uterus, fibroids, and endometriosis. I have had 2 c sections and was wondering if I would be able to have a Vaginal Hysterectomy or if I would have to have a laparoscopic one?

Anon_6061 responded:
I don't think a history of c-sections has any bearing on the type of hysterectomy you can have.

You do know that hysterectomy is not a cure for endometriosis, right? Also, if the fibroids are causing issues, meds are usually effective in reducing bleeding and there are surgeons who can remove just the fibroids allowing you to keep your uterus and its non-reproductive functions (even though hysterectomy is more common). I had a hysterectomy and the aftermath has been devastating. It has changed me in ways I never could have imagined (physically, mentally, emotionally, sexually).

rhondamay responded:
Anon_6061's mission in life seems to be putting fear into the hearts of women about hysterectomies. Don't let her scare you. I am one of the vast majority of women who have had a hysterectomy and have had nothing but good results. It did cure my endometriosis and it had absolutely no negative effects on me. The pain is gone and my sex life is great and the world looks better for me. Ignore her!

Good luck,

Rhonda

Anon_6061 responded:
Sure, there are women for whom hysterectomy is worthwhile such as those who have suffered with an ongoing, debilitating gynecologic condition. And of course a cancer diagnosis or a genetic high risk factor are good reasons.

However, one cannot dismiss the studies that show the negative effects and increased health risks. And as you can see from Hysterectomy forums such as Hystersisters, many women suffer from the short and long-term effects.

According to medical studies, hysterectomy (without ovary removal) is associated with the following risks:
- Ovarian failure (study showed 39% risk)
- Cardiovascular disease due to arterial stiffening
- Mood changes including depression - thought to be due to the reduced (or complete loss of) ovarian function
- "Psychosexual" problems (libido, arousal, vaginal dryness)
- Increased BMI (weight gain)
- Hypertension
- Pelvic floor dysfunction (bladder and bowel changes, vaginal prolapse)
- Renal cell (kidney) cancer thought to be caused by damage to ureters during procedure
- Thyroid cancer (this is a short-term risk - .5 to 1.4 years post-op)

Studies show the following risks of ovary removal: Cardiovascular disease, stroke, osteoporosis, hip fractures, cognitive impairment, memory loss, dementia, Parkinsonism, depression, anxiety, poor sleep quality, adverse ocular (vision) changes, adverse skin and body composition changes, decreased psychological well-being, decline in sexual desire and frequency, more severe hot flashes and urogenital atrophy.

Of course, if ovaries fail after hysterectomy, the hormonal effects would be akin to those of having had ovaries removed.

All of the above can be found in studies in PubMed. Scary? Absolutely! So if you have a benign condition, these risks may not be worth it. Only YOU can make that decision since you are the one who has to live with the consequences.

georgiagail replied to Anon_6061's response:
Nice of you to "approve" certain hysterectomies.

I too have had one and have suffered NONE of the symptoms listed. Zippo. Unless of course one considers anger at folks who use scare tactics in regards to hysterectomy hysteria.

Gail

tlkittycat1968 replied to georgiagail's response:
I agree. My mom had a hysterectomy 31 years ago and has said it's the best thing she ever did. My doctor has said I may eventually need one and while I'm choosing to wait as I'm currently not experiencing problems my mom has said to just "take that puppy out."

Helpful Tips

Try looking into this
I also have been dealing with the same thing best bet is to go to your OB/Gyn it might be Endometriosis I would try and get in as soon as ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.