Skip to content
Joint Pain and Fatique after period
deechuck1 posted:
For years now, I have been experiencing all over body pain leading to my awful period each month. My hands, neck, back, hips, legs, ankles and feet hurt. I am super tired and emotional. Normally, I am cheerful and optimistic.. but during these "flare-ups" I am weak and gloomy. I have been taking Hydroxychoroquine, Mobic, Tramadol, sertraline, Nortriptilyne, vit d and zantac. I often get constipation, heartburn, headaches, dizziness, emotional highs and lows. I don't have proof of none of this so ... I got denied short term disability. I really just want a solution. I've been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. What the what!!! It's the undetected debilitating disease that ruins lives and not traceable. I really think it has to be something else... why only during and around my periods. Why doctors don't have a plan for us?

georgiagail responded:
Doctors don't have a plan for this because it's not a disease. It's due to normal hormonal changes that occur right before and during menstruation. Emphasis on normal changes (although these can be quite uncomfortable.)

Thus the "treatment" is to address the symptoms rather than a cure (well, perhaps entering menopause may help, although menopause can bring some interesting symptoms itself).

I have worked with some nurses who, because of their work schedule, have some terrible eating habits, loading themselves up on caffeine to keep going, skipping meals and never getting sustained (i.e., 20 minutes each day) exercise. Some did find reducing the caffeine in their diet, switching to more complex carbohydrates, and including some aerobic type exercise (usually walking or stationary bike riding as these two things were easiest for them) for a SUSTAINED period of 20 minutes at least five times a week seemed to help greatly with at least some of these symptoms...especially the emotional highs and lows.

Gail

Helpful Tips

might be pregnant in 3 months rubella vaccination?
My wife is vaccinated rubella vaccine, doctor was note "she is not pregnant within 3 months". If she's pregnant in that time, what is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.