Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Birth Control
avenged89 posted:
I went to the doctor Tuesday and he put me on birth control to help with my period. He told me not to start taking the pills until the Sunday after I start my next period. Unfortunately, that's all he told me. I've never taken birth control pills before, so I'm a little confused. I was reading the paper that came with it and it said something about an 84 pack? When I picked it up from the pharmacy all that was in there was 28. 21 White ones and 7 light green ones. Do I start with the white ones or green ones? I know that's probably a dumb question but like I said I've never taken them before. Any help is greatly appreciated!

georgiagail responded:
The white ones are the active birth control pills; you begin taking these. The green ones are the "sugar" (hormone free) pills; they are the ones that trigger bleeding while on birth control pills.

Gail

avenged89 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thank you for your help! I was so confused!

tlkittycat1968 replied to avenged89's response:
Also, don't worry if you don't start your period until a few days into the sugar pills. When I was on birth control, I was a Sunday start like you and my period would start the Wednesday after I started the sugar pills.

Your period will probably be lighter as well. Again, when I was on the pill, my period would start Wednesday and end Friday. It's also common to skip a period here and there while on the pill.

Spotting is also common when first starting the pill. Just keep taking the pills and the spotting should stop.

Helpful Tips

Spotting
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.