Skip to content
Provera?
susie5343 posted:
I am a 57 year old still have occasional periods. Been taking provera for 5 days out of every 3 months for the past couple of years. Most times I will have a period, but the past few times I did not. However, I had a period on my own however light. My GYN insists that I need to continue this regimen until I'm period free for one year.

Now, for the monkey wrench. I was diagnosed with breast cancer 2 months ago. Had a lumpectomy, clear margins and no lymph node involvement. It is estrogen and progesterone fed. I will be having radiation soon. Chemo doctor says I do not need chemo. However, he says he does not want me taking provera anymore. My GYN says I need to continue taking it to make sure that I don't develop uterine cancer.

My GYN has refused to speak with the chemo doctor for reasons I do not understand. I'm furious with her. She won't even return my phone call. I have NEVER had a doctor do this. Needless to say I will be looking for a new GYN.

I feel like I'm in a tug of war. GYN says that she feels that it is such a small amount that it shouldn't be a cause for concern. But, the chemo doctor is just as solid in his decision. I'm overweight and really don't want to have a hysterectomy.

Can you offer me any hope that taking the provera would be ok?

Thank you,

Susie

georgiagail responded:
It comes down to this....

What are you more fearful of....endometrial cancer or breast cancer?

You've already been diagnosed with breast cancer and, luckily, diagnosed early with what appears to be full removal. You know it is hormone fed. Currently your focus should be on the breast cancer more than the concern about any uterine cancer.

Congratulations on the good news regarding the early detection of your breast cancer. For what it's worth, I had the same diagnosis earlier this summer; lumpectomy, clear margins, no lymph node involvement, hormone fed, underwent radiation, no chemotherapy. I am on Anastrozole as I am post menopausal.

Gail

Anon_6061 responded:
I am sorry you had breast cancer. And I can understand your concern about developing endometrial cancer and not wanting a hysterectomy. Those are valid concerns and no one should discount them, doctors included.

I know the Women's Health Initiative showed an increased risk of breast cancer with combined HRT (estrogen plus progestin). But I don't know what dose was used and for how long.

Do you have endometrial hyperplasia hence the need for the Provera? Being overweight increases risk of endometrial cancer as well as breast cancer. So if you can work on losing some weight, that would decrease your risk of both types of cancer.

In the meantime, a second opinion (and maybe even a third) would be a good idea, maybe from a gyn oncologist. Doctors are sometimes hesitant to go against other doctors' opinions so that may be why your gyn refused to talk to the oncologist.

Helpful Tips

Thickened endometrial lining
Hi I am 52, stopped my periods 5 months ago - assumed menopause, feeling very bloated for the past 3 months - doc ordered hormone test - ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.