Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Vaginal bleeding after bowel movements
An_254844 posted:
I have been having vaginal bleeding when having bowel movements for the past month. Yes, I do mean vaginal, not rectal. After so many years of having my period, I can tell the difference. I am specifying because I have read a few articles or Q and A's that say "make sure that the bleeding is vaginal, not rectal". Anyway, it started as bleeding while bm, now even when I urinate there is blood. Since my period is supposed to start tomorrow, I am trying to figure out if it came early this month.

A little background on me... I am 37 y/o and have had 2 full term pregnancies when I was 19 and 24. At 33, I decided to have a tubal ligation and had an ectopic pregnancy 4 months after the ligation, which ended up in a double salpingectomy as I didn't want to run the risk of having another ectopic pregnancy. When this occurred, the reason why I noticed that there was something wrong and went to the doctor was because of the same issue I am having now, vaginal bleeding while bowel movements. Back then it was more like brownish spotting, right now it is bleeding. I do not know what could be causing this as I don't have tubes to have another ectopic. So I ask the professionals in here: Any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks in advance!

PS. I do not have insurance at the moment, this is why I haven't gone to the doctor yet.

georgiagail responded:
While no one here can diagnosis this, it appears to be a fairly common issue with bowel movements, less so with the straining with urination. The cervix is if often the cause; can be a "friable" (i.e., tender) cervix, polyps (luckily benign) or more serious tumor issues involving this area.

Sometimes the cause is never found but if the bleeding is significant this needs to be looked into medically.

Gail

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 100 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.