Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Birth Control Newbie
An_254891 posted:
I'm a new Gianvi (Yaz) taker, and my boyfriend and I had been waiting to have sex until I went on the pill. When I went to see my doctor, my period had just ended a week ago so she said I could start any time.

So my question: if you start the pill mid cycle, how long does it take to work. She had told me a month, but I'm not sure if she meant after I go through a full pack (28 days), exactly 30 days, etc?

I know how it works if you do the first day or Sunday after your period start.

My boyfriend and I finally had sex when I was on day 2 of the white pills, so I'm not sure if I was protected. I hadn't gotten my period yet.

Thanks!

georgiagail responded:
The idea on taking hormone containing birth control pills is that 1. they stop ovulation and 2. if ovulation does occur the environment of the uterus is "less friendly" to implantation.

The recommendation is that one is protected against pregnancy after they have taken these pills for at least seven days.

When you say you had sex on day two of the "white pills" do you mean the pills at the end of the pack? If so, these are the placebo pills that would normally trigger bleeding.

If you had unprotected intercourse just two days after starting birth control, no protection against pregnancy was provided.

Gail

An_254891 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks Gail. It was day 2 of the placebo pill, so I had taken 24 days of the pill.

So just to clarify, regardless of when you start the pill, you should be ok after the 7 days of correct use? I thought since I didn't start withing a week of my period I had to wait longer.

Thanks!

tlkittycat1968 replied to An_254891's response:
If you start the pill while on your period, you're covered after a week. If you use the quick start method, it will take a month for the pill to become effective.

Helpful Tips

birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 73 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.