Skip to content
Can a vaginal infection or UTI cause false positive results in HIV blood test?
mirna712 posted:
Hello there! first time for me here ![br>I have a blood test that checks for AIDS/HIV tomorrow & I have a vaginal infection for quite some time now (couldnt get a medication, out of country, etc). I'm very worried & was wondering if the infection would affect the HIV blood test results? (it's a blood test for both HIV & Hepatitis C) [br>Thank you!

georgiagail responded:
No; neither a vaginal infection nor a UTI (which is a bacterial infetction) will have an impact on the accuracy of an HIV or hepatitis test.

These blood tests check for specific antibodies the immune system begins to release when either of these viral based diseases have been passed on to a person. The recommendation for both these type of antibody tests is to wait at least 3 months after a potential exposure to take the tests.

Gail

georgiagail replied to laralok's response:
Spam

mirna712 replied to georgiagail's response:
Hey Georgia! Are you sure it won't affect the test result.. make it appear false positive or anything? I'm getting paranoid here! xx

georgiagail replied to mirna712's response:
No; it will not. HIV screening tests check for specific antibodies connected with this disease.

There are cases of "false positive" test results (interestingly, sometimes pregnancy will cause this as well as a recent vaccination for the flu...which is a viral injection). Any positive HIV result is confirmed (or ruled out) by a second test known as a Western Blot.

Again, the vaginal and UTI infections are bacterial, not viral in nature. HIV is a viral disease.

Gail

oh wow, you just made the most relaxed person on earth! Thankss!

On an unrelated note; my friend was saying that she's going to test for HIV as well because she had a persistent yeast infection for years & the doctors told her it might develop into HIV. I think that's totally wrong but is there such a thing anyway?

georgiagail replied to mirna712's response:
Nope. Yeast infections don't "develop" into HIV.

HIV is a very specific disease with very specific transmission requirements. Yeast infections (which are depressingly common) don't suddenly "morph" into HIV. Folks with end stage HIV (i.e., those who have progressed to the stage of AIDS) often have more issues with oral yeast infections (i.e., oral Thrush) but that's a totally different scenario.

Gail

Yeah well my only concern was that my yeast infection may interfere with the results or cause them to become positive.. thank you again so much, Gail!

Helpful Tips

Thickened endometrial lining
Hi I am 52, stopped my periods 5 months ago - assumed menopause, feeling very bloated for the past 3 months - doc ordered hormone test - ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.