Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Causes of Enlarged Uterus?
anbm2012 posted:
Hi. I am 39 years old and was recently told by my GYN that my uterus is enlarged. On my US last week I measured at an 11-week pregnant size. I am not pregnant.

I went in for the US because I had been having pain in my lower right quadrant since November, after my last period (I am on Seasonale.). It feels like a stitch when you run, but in my pelvic region. I was seen for my yearly exam in December and nothing was found to be causing the pain (lumps, etc.). Between period and exam I had spotting and bled once after being intimate with my husband (pink that turned to bright red and lasted for several hours, along with horrible cramping). Within hours after the exam, I began cramping and bleeding dark brown; that lasted for two days. That has never occurred after an exam before and it's the same provider I've had for years. Was told to go off pill to bring on a period because breakthrough bleeding was suspected. Did so the week of New Years and had a very different period than my usual: 8 days (usually 4-5) with spotting (red to brown) for days 1 and 2, regular bleeding with very small clots on days 3 and 4, and red spotting days 5-7. Final day was brown spotting. In all I used a lot of pantyliners and 5 tampons. Cramping was excruciating first day; did not respond to meds. (I don't normally cramp that bad). No spotting since period.

Was scheduled for US after period to rule out ovarian cysts (of which I have a history) and fibroids. Nothing was found. The only abnormality is the size of my uterus, which I believe has been larger than normal since November (been really bloated since then). My uterus is also retroverted; I've known that since my first ovarian cyst at age 14. My last pregnancy was almost 11 years ago. I was told the pain in my pelvic area is probably muscular and to follow up with my family provider if it continues.

Since I am not pregnant, don't have fibroids, cysts, or tumors, what else can be causing this? And what can I do about it? It's a very uncomfortable feeling. (Going to the bathroom more often, feeling full quicker, bloating, etc.) I am not having issues with constipation, discharge, etc.

Thank you for your help.

Anon_6061 responded:
Adenomyosis came to mind when I read your post. And it cannot be seen on ultrasound. I have read that it can sometimes be seen on MRI but don't know if that's true. This link even lists birth control as a cause. Here's the list - http://women.webmd.com/guide/enlarged-uterus-causes-treatments.

The irregular period you just had could be, at least in part, from stopping the birth control pill.

anbm2012 replied to Anon_6061's response:
Thanks for the article. After reading it, the pelvic congestion syndrome is the closest to what I have been experiencing for the past few months.

Helpful Tips

Itchy Nipple (Right Side)
Hi my name is Jennifer. I am 21 years old. I have a concern about having a very itchy nipple on the very tip and no reason why its itching. ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.