Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is Emkit Effective 48 hours after unprotected sex?
An_255471 posted:
I took Emkit (emergency contraceptive pill) Levonorgestrel 0.75mg 48 hours after unprotected sex which happened around 13/01/2014. My bf pulled out on time and his sperm went on my stomach however some pre-ejactory fluid did come out and might have gone in. I took 1 emkit tablet after 48 hours and I was supposed to take the 2nd dose 12 hours later but I took it 48 hours later. Will it still be effective? Or is there a chance I could be pregnant? I took a pregnancy test twice (one on 01/02/2014 and again on 09/02/2014) and both times it came out negative. I also came on my period (not sure if this actually was my period) it was very light bleeding and lasted around 5 days at the same time my normal period comes. My cycle is 33 days. I last came on my period on 17/12/2013 and then last month on 22/01/2014 (not sure again was this my period). [br>[br>I have been feeling sick but not actually being sick and have had headaches since last week, feeling emotional and slight stomach with lose motion. I am stressing a lot maybe this is why I am having headaches I am not sure but please can you advice as I am very worried

georgiagail responded:
Your have already been told that you are not pregnant. You've had one menstrual period since this event and two negative pregnancy tests. You took the emergency contraceptive pill.

Your headaches and queasy stomach are due to worry over a pregnancy that you do not have.

Gail

angel7867 replied to georgiagail's response:
Yes but I am not convinced that actually was my menstrual cycle as I have never had a light period in 10 years. I have been reading alot online and taking a pregnancy test too early can result in a negative reading plus it was bought from a shop so I am not sure if its reliable. I guess I am just a worrying type of person

fcl replied to angel7867's response:
The second test you took would not have been too early. Pregnancy tests are extremely reliable no matter where you buy them. If it makes you feel any better, take another test. If it comes up negative then believe it!

Helpful Tips

birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 73 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.