Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Left side abdominal pain
An_256774 posted:
In early March I was diagnosed with a UTI infection but honestly it was one of the most painful ones that I had ever had. Since then I have had pain in my lower left abdomen. I have had various blood work, an ultrasound and an abdominal CT with contrast and the only thing they can find is small stones in my kidney which the Gastroenterologist says would not be causing the pain. They have scheduled me for a colonoscopy on Monday which I will have because I'm scared not to, but I hate the though of it! A little over 2 years ago I had a hysterectomy after which I had a lot of bruising and pain on the left side. I am wondering if that or the fact that I had endometriosis and adenomyosis could have anything to do with this pain. Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated. I'm not very confident in the care that I'm currently getting because the won't even discuss the possibility of anything other than a GI problem, even though nothing is showing up,but I don't know what else to do.

Thank you

Anon_6061 responded:
It is odd that this pain started after the UTI but that may just be a coincidence. With a history of endometriosis, it's possible that the pain is from endo especially since hysterectomy is not a cure for endo (there is no cure). However, GI problems can also occur after hysterectomy because the bowel descends in the abdomen without the uterus there. My bowels have changed considerably since my hysterectomy and I do get occasional abdominal pain when things get "backed up." I never had these problems before the surgery.

Of course, if the pain is from endo, the only way to diagnose it is via surgery. Hoping you get this resolved soon.

An_256774 replied to Anon_6061's response:
Thank you for your input. I had the colonoscopy yesterday and will get results from the biopsies at my follow up appointment in a couple of weeks. One thing the GI doctor did bring up yesterday was scarring from the hysterectomy. Hopefully I will have more answers soon.

Anon_6061 replied to An_256774's response:
Oh yes, forgot to mention adhesions (scar tissue) as a source of pain. Surgery and even endo itself can cause adhesions. Were they able to complete the colonoscopy with a normal scope? Sometimes the post-hysterectomy twists and turns in the colon can make it harder to complete the colonoscopy and require a pediatric scope.

Let us know what you find out.

Helpful Tips

how can a woman restore sensation in her nipples/breast?
since my last pregnancy in 2005, i have no sensation in my breast when stimulated. If anything, it hurts. I am 43 years old and I know I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.