Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Bleeding after a finished my period over a week ago
jnshope19 posted:
Hello all,

I am just a little concerned that I am bleeding after I have finished my period over a week ago. I finished my period April 13 and I started spotting at first yesterday (4/20/14) and now I am like heavy bleeding as if I was on my normal period. I am on birth control pills and just started my new pack on the 14th...I took the Sunday and Monday pill both on the 14th because I really should have started them on Sunday the 13th. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. My periods have ALWAYS been normal so that is why I am a little concerned about this happening. Does anyone have any advise?

atti_editor responded:
Hi jnshope19,

Any bleeding that occurs when you are not expecting your period would be considered abnormal bleeding, which has many possible causes. This article explains some possibilities and explains that bleeding by itself does not necessarily mean there is something serious going on. Sometimes medicines, such as birth control pills, can cause abnormal bleeding if you just started on them or if you do not take them a regular time each day. Making an appointment with your obgyn to determine the cause of your bleeding would be a good idea. Please let us know what you find.

Best wishes,
Atti

Helpful Tips

Hysterectomy
I am having heavy bleeding and sever pain with it every month that it affects my daily living when I have it I even had to drop out of ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.