Skip to content
break through bleeding while on pill (not new to the pill)
newgirl2010 posted:
I am in the second week of active pills (ortho tricyclen-lo) and i have some break through bleeding. I have been on this particular pill for years without a problem. (two years ago I had a planned pregnancy, but went right back on six weeks after delivery). I am in my late 30s, monogamous relationship. I have previously been tested for HPV, STDs (I read that can be the cause)--negative. I do not smoke. I take my pill every day within a two hour window. I am a low weight. I currently do not consume alcohol (but have in the past). I drink lots of herbal tea (but nothing with st. johns wart). I am not on any prescription medication that is known to interact with the pill. I am not on any new medication. my withdrawal bleed was normal and on time last month. any ideas? a reason to see my gyno?

newgirl2010 responded:
oh, and i recently had routine blood work done (including thyroid) all normal. my LDL cholesterol was a bit high--which is strange--considering i eat very limited amounts of saturated fat.

atti_editor responded:
Hi newgirl2010,

As this article says, abnormal vaginal bleeding has many possible causes and by itself usually does not indicate a serious condition. The above link has more information on possible causes and suggests instances of abnormal bleeding be brought to the attention of your doctor.

Best wishes,
Atti

Helpful Tips

periods
why is my blood dark at the beginning of my period ? More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.