Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Early pregnancy/SIBO
nic14120 posted:
Hello!

I posted back in Dec when I was around 5 weeks due to my concerns with SIBO and my pregnancy. Sadly that preg never developed passed 5 weeks and I had a D&C at 9 Weeks Following this I was diagnosed by my GI for SIBO- due to excessive belching and upper left discomfort. I took a 2 week course of Xifamin. Sadly, I still experience belching and on and off discomfort. I asked the GI if SIBO could affect the preg and he feels it should not at all.
I am elated to be pregnant again, roughly 5 weeks. I can't help but feel so scared after my recent experience. I am curious if the excessive belching could hinder development on the baby? Is it possible for those with SIBO to carry a healthy developed fetus?
I did have my B-12 and Folic acid levels checked in Feb (pre antibiotics) and they were normal. I am assuming they would still be post antibiotics. My Vit D is 29, so I am supplementing. My TSH is 3.04 so my meds were just increased, and my endo said my Total T3 is low, but he doesn't use that as a gauge (he really didn't answer me about that).
I would like to do everything right to make this one a success for me. I can't help but to feel scared. I am feel super bloated in my lower AND upper abdomen. Is that common with preg, or could it be the SIBo, or a combo of both? Any reassurance would be greatly appreciated!! THank you

Anon_6061 responded:
I am sorry to hear about your miscarriage but glad you were able to get pregnant again.

I'm not sure if/how SIBO affects pregnancy and chances of miscarriage but thyroid dysfunction can definitely affect reproductive health - fertility, maintaining pregnancy, and carrying to term. This article discuses this - http://www.nytimes.com/ref/health/healthguide/esn-hypothyroidism-expert.html?pagewanted=all.

georgiagail responded:
Listen to what your physician has told you. Your SIBO will have no effect on the development of your fetus. Unfortunately, bloating is not unusual, even early on in a pregnancy. Hormonal changes associated with the pregnancy can cause issues such as bloating and heartburn even early on.

Gail

nic14120 replied to georgiagail's response:
I am trying very hard not to stress or worry this time around. It was my GI who told me it "shouldn't" affect a pregnancy. I don't see my OB for another 3 weeks, so I know this is the critical part and worry since the last preg didn't develop beyond 5 weeks.

Helpful Tips

Menopause
The age of is not certain,It may at the age below 40. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.