Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Early period and then late/missed period? 44 days and counting...
Anon_237760 posted:
I am turning 30 in 2 months. My periods have always been pretty regular, on a 32-ish day schedule (give or take a few days any given month). I had my period February 28, and then it came early on March 24. Since then I have not gotten my next period. I did have some light brown discharge for a couple days around 4/21. Not any fresh blood and not enough to need a pad or anything. That was a stressful week for me with work. Since then, nothing. I took a home pregnancy test on 5/5 (42 days since my last period; ~35 days after when I would have expected that last period to have been if it wasn't early) and it was negative.

I generally feel normal - I do not seem to be excessively fatigued (at least not for how busy I've been - more details on that below), my appetite is normal (if not less than usual), no significant sick feelings in my stomach, or headaches. My breasts and nipples feel a bit sore I suppose, but not like they're super sensitive to the touch or anything; in fact they can handle quite a bit of handling so that may just be all in my head. Since I'm paying more attention to my body I feel like there could be all kinds of related signs or symptoms, but I think I'm just being a hypochondriac.

It seems highly unlikely that I could be pregnant - my husband and I always use condoms and from what we can tell there haven't been any broken ones - but I guess there is always some slight probability, right? Still, we haven't engaged in any risky behavior.

As a little more background, it has been a stressful time for me since my last period. The day it came (3/24) I learned that my job was being taken down to part time in preparation for eventual downsizing in 1 year. I've never had anything like that happen before and my reaction would swing from taking it in stride to feeling very lousy about it. On top of that, my regular exercise routine started back up around the same time - starting 3/19 I was back on a 4-5 days/week, 30 minutes/day workout after months of only sporadic exercise. In addition I began furiously cleaning and fixing up my house on the weekends in anticipation of putting it on the market by 5/1, while simultaneously building my new house in whatever spare time I had (my husband and I are building it ourselves - we are almost done ). Also I work full time and am taking a graduate school class.

I am not on any medications and I do not have any allergies that I'm aware of. I am a bit overweight (175lbs on a 5'5" frame, though my fat% is lower than you'd expect at that size).

That sounds like pretty overwhelming evidence that I've been stressed out and that's probably the cause of my problems, but I have had plenty of situations in my life where I've been very stressed, including the illness and death of my only sibling. And never once have I EVER missed a period. Ever.

So, needless to say, I am freaking out and this is weighing on my mind constantly. It freaks me out that I had an early period, then light brown discharge, and now nothing. Has anyone ever experienced this before? Could this just be because I am stressed? Can randomly early periods be followed by late ones? The negative HPT only calmed my mind for about 10 minutes. It's been weighing on me a lot and I feel bad for my poor husband, as I am generally keeping myself "off limits". Thank you for your help - it's reassuring just to have someone to talk to.

anon516719 responded:
Now 46 days since my last period... I took another HPT this morning, negative again. I am very careful to follow the instructions exactly. Can I at least safely assume at this point that I am definitely NOT pregnant?? To be honest, I could really use a beer tonight.

It has been at LEAST 19 days since my husband and I last had sex, probably more than that (I can't remember the last time we did, but I know for sure we haven't done anything since my light brown discharge scare).

Still feel basically normal; maybe sore nipples/breasts and light cramping, but again I can't tell if it's all just in my head. It's definitely nothing bad enough to KNOW for sure.

Please... any advice would help put my mind at ease.

mabs2013 responded:
I will be 30 the end of the month
I too had this a while back. I talked to my dr when it did. Sometimes your body just goes through a change and if you are stressed about things, it does take effect on your body. I missed 2 months and then started again and on regular basis. Being late when you are stressed makes you even more stressed. It will pass, your body is changing still and it will get back on track and if I read this right you started exercising again. I use to be a runner and in high school & college, I was too like clock work. When I stopped running it changed for a while then got back on schedule, I decided to run a 5k with a friend a few years ago, I missed the 2 months and then back on track. I just found out I have endometriosis and now things changed again for my cycle. It will get back to normal, just be patient, enjoy not having to be on your period right now.

anon516719 replied to mabs2013's response:
Thank you so much! It helps just to know I'm not alone. It's weird to think about the changes that can happen when we're 30... so young yet aging. I expect changes when puberty and menopause start, but I always thought things would be more consistent in between. It's amazing to me how stress and exercise can affect us... I don't feel that different but I guess things are in flux. I guess I should try to relax and let life get back to normal (which means I should allow myself that beer tonight. )

I'm sorry to hear about your endometriosis, I wish you luck.

tlkittycat1968 replied to anon516719's response:
I would agree that it's probably stress causing you to not ovulate which in turn causes you to miss your period. Our bodies are smart and can tell when it's not a good time to get pregnant and will delay ovulation.

anon516719 replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
OMG! It just came!!!! I have never been so happy to get my period before. I can't help but think this is due in part to all of you calming my nerves... THANK YOU, LADIES!!!!

Helpful Tips

Hysterectomy
I am having heavy bleeding and sever pain with it every month that it affects my daily living when I have it I even had to drop out of ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.