can a 17 year old have a hysterectomy
emilykane1993 posted:
ive been having heavy painful periods since they started when I was 11 can I get a hysterectomy because its been getting worse and worse over the years ive tried hormones and they made it worse and the blood is black and sticky and I cant do anything at all and its ruined my life

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Very doubtfull you can get a hysterectomy at 17 unless it was for cancer. You will need to continue working with your doctor to find something that works. A hysterectomy is major surgery and not to be taken lightly.

Anon_6061 responded:
I am sorry for your troubles. I don't think most doctors would do a hysterectomy on someone your age. And hysterectomy has its own set of negative effects.

Do you have a diagnosis or suspected diagnosis? A fairly common cause of pelvic pain that starts with menarche (the first menstrual period) or shortly thereafter is endometriosis. Have you been diagnosed or had any tests or procedures to determine the cause of this pain? A reproductive endocrinologist or a gynecologist who specializes in pelvic pain would be a good place to start.

georgiagail replied to Anon_6061's response:
It is highly unlikely that any physician would legally or medically agree to do a hysterectomy on a 17 year old for the reasons you describe.

Now...if uterine cancer were the issue, this might be a different story. But heavy, painful periods? No. There are other options to try.

Gail