Skip to content
Going off birth control at 52
patrish25 posted:
Dr suggest going off birth control at 52. Worried about getting pregnant, what are the chances?

tlkittycat1968 responded:
If you've gone through menopause, chances of pregnancy are pretty much non existant. Unfortunately, the only way to tell if you've gone through menopause is to go off birth control. If you still have periods after going off birth control, you are ovulating and can get pregnant. I'd use some non-hormonal method of birth control like condoms until your doctor is sure you've gone through menopause.

patrish25 replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
Thank you for this information.

fcl responded:
At age 52, the chances of getting pregnant are pretty slim but not impossible. Why not just use another BC method if that would ease your mind? You might also want to ask your doctor about getting tested to see if you're menopausal:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/menopause/basics/tests-diagnosis/con-20019726

Helpful Tips

Hysterectomy
I am having heavy bleeding and sever pain with it every month that it affects my daily living when I have it I even had to drop out of ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.