Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Going off birth control at 52
    patrish25 posted:
    Dr suggest going off birth control at 52. Worried about getting pregnant, what are the chances?
    tlkittycat1968 responded:
    If you've gone through menopause, chances of pregnancy are pretty much non existant. Unfortunately, the only way to tell if you've gone through menopause is to go off birth control. If you still have periods after going off birth control, you are ovulating and can get pregnant. I'd use some non-hormonal method of birth control like condoms until your doctor is sure you've gone through menopause.
    patrish25 replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
    Thank you for this information.
    fcl responded:
    At age 52, the chances of getting pregnant are pretty slim but not impossible. Why not just use another BC method if that would ease your mind? You might also want to ask your doctor about getting tested to see if you're menopausal:

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Expert Blog

    Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

    From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.