Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
White blood cells and cervix
starlight804 posted:
I went to the doctor friday they gave me a pap said I my cervix was inflamed. I have now had bleeding for 2 days. That friday was bad and now its like spotting. They also said I had white blood cells present. Any ideas what could be going on? I know last year I had trichomoniasis. I had it treated and same with my partner and haven't had any other problems. Any ideas?

J_Harrison_Hohner responded:
Dear starlight: There are several reasons for a cervix to have an inflamed appearance and seem to bleed easily after a PAP smear test: 1. Gonorrhea or chlamydia infection--if you are in a monogamous relationship and have tested negative for such STDs then I doubt this is the cause of your post-PAP spotting. Even current trichomoniasis can create an irritated cervix which bleeds easily. In this case increased white blood cells may be present. 2. Cervicitis or cervical infection---while this is usually a result of chlamydia, other not so easy to identify pathogens can create a cervical infection. If this is suspected antibiotics may be given. As in other infections increased white blood cells may be seen. 3. Increased area of glandular cells--the surface of the face of the cervix tends to be squamous cells (tough like our outside skin). There is a more fragile type of cells inside the cervical canal and under some conditions (pregnancy, birth control pills, adolescence) these fragile glandular cells can extend over the face of the cervix. In some women there is this normal enlargement of the area of glandular type tissue. These women can have bleeding when the cervix is sampled for a PAP smear. Yet this is not linked to increased white blood cells. 4. Inflammatory changes on PAP smear--can be due to non-STD infection causes. Increased white blood cells can be seen on the PAP smear. Some of us have these types of PAP smear results chronically, without overt reason. 5. Postmenopause or very low estrogen levels--this can create a dryer, thinner vaginal tissue. Women can bleed easily with sex or PAP smears. Some white blood cells may be seen but the vaginal smear will show a dramatic increase in immature vaginal tissue cells. Bottom line, your own GYN who has access to your PAP and wet mount results should be able to give you a more "for sure" answer as to the cause of your cervical status. Yours, Jane

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 102 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.