Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Menstrual Cycle Every 2 Weeks
MidWstGirl posted:
My job doesn't provide health insurance, hence why I'm posting here for some advice. It costs far too much to go to the doctor and I'm waiting for my state-run insurance plan to come through.

Since October, I've had my period every 2 weeks like clockwork. Oddly enough, it's the most regular I've been in my life. The only thing that has changed is the week of Halloween, I got tonsillitis and was placed on antibiotics for it, plus Singulair for my asthma. The antibiotics are gone and I'm still taking my Singulair. I'm not on birth control pills (I've tried. It sent me into a depression), and intercourse is few and far between. The bleeding that's occurring is like any other menstrual cycle- light the first day, heavy for several days with some clots passing, then tapering off. I'll have a week off, then 7-8 days later it's back. There are no cramps or pain- as I rarely experience cramps or discomfort when menstruating. I suspect an infection or a cyst/polyp, but any insight until I can get to the doctor would be great.

J_Harrison_Hohner responded:
Dear MidWstGirl: There are two common reasons for a "period" every two weeks. One is a heavier than usual breakthrough bleeding due to ovulation (peri-ovulation bleeding). The second is consistent missed ovulations. Given what you have shared (never had very regular periods) my best GUESS is consistent missed ovulations.

Here is how prolonged missed ovulations cause such symptoms. In a normal cycle, estrogen is produced all month. Estrogen is responsible for building up the lining of your uterus so you have something to shed each month. The good news is that you have enough estrogen to make a lining that does shed sometimes.

In a normal cycle, progesterone production increases following ovulation and release of an egg.. Progesterone ?stabilizes? the uterine lining in preparation for a possible implantation of a new pregnancy. If you are not pregnant that month the levels of estrogen and progesterone fall, triggering the release of the uterine lining?your period. So, if you do not ovulate, the estrogen build up of the lining continues, but without the usual ovulation associated progesterone. Thus, the hormone levels don?t decline, and the lining stays up inside the uterus?as a missed period or one that sheds erratically. In your current instance, when the lining gets too thick, the top layer can breakdown and be shed. Sometimes this can seem to be on a fairly regular basis.

Causes for not ovulating are multifold: thyroid problems, pituitary problems, ovarian cysts, physical stressors (eg sudden increases in exercise, crash dieting), illness, emotional stressors (problems with parents or boyfriends/girlfriends, exams), increased body weight, anorexia, rotating shifts at work, etc.

Interestingly, one hallmark of a non-ovulation bleed is the absence of cramps and the usual premenstrual symptoms. You are correct, bleeding from polyps or an infection (eg chlamydia) can also be erratic and/or frequent.

I would urge you to get a reliable pregnancy test (if you have a risk for pregnancy). And you do need to see a GYN as soon as your new insurance becomes active. Given the variety of reasons for frequent bleeds a GYN is needed to help sort things out. When you see a GYN or clinic about this pattern they should try and found out the cause. If it is because of low thyroid then thyroid medication is given. If it is because of being heavy set, losing about 10% of body weight can help. If it is about a severe level of stress, counseling or medication may help. If it is about polyps, they can be removed. If it is a new chlamydia infection then antibiotics can be given.

Yours, Jane

MidWstGirl responded:
Thank you so much for the insight! I'll be getting to my GYN as soon as I can.

mazarii replied to J_Harrison_Hohner's response:
I actually have the same exact problem except my period last 2 weeks and I barely get 2 weeks off. I also dont have health insurance and im getting married next year so i have to wait for my insurance. My main concern is that I tend to clot alot, I feel like it drives me a little crazy because i'm always concerned about havin a miscarriage and not knowing. Is there anything that can be done at home to try to straighten things out with my mentral? And should I be concerned about waiting too long and possibly not being able to have children?

Jessyairon1 replied to mazarii's response:
I have the same problem and when I went to the doctors they put me on birth-control. I quit taking it. My period was way heavier and would not stop till I stopped taking the birth control. It worries me for when I get older about having kids too.

SherSher24 replied to mazarii's response:
This happened to me too, I would bleed for 2 weeks and be off for a week then start again. This went on for a year and finally got a D and C done about 4 months ago. Now I bleed every 2 weeks, so i'm going back to the doctor.
What my doctor told me is that i had polyps in the uterus and they had to clean me out.
As for you trying to get pregnant, if it is the same as me, you have a very high chance of getting pregnant right now. Higher chance then usual that is.

An_245152 replied to SherSher24's response:
I am having the same problem bleed for two weeks and off a week. This just started to happen to me. Not sure what to do.

nikala responded:
iv been going through the same thing its so annoying exp when your trying for a baby,am 30 now, iv never fell pregnant i have a retrovated uterus i dnt know if this could b causing me to bleed its only jst started happening to me the past month i have had problems b4 with my periods wen i was younger, a few mnths ago i had bv but got that cleared up and everything was fine now this,

natandjay4ever responded:
hi, i read this and just started mine again today, i hit puberty at the age of 6, ever sense i have never been regular. my doctors have always said, "oh after u have a kid it'll work out normally"

wrong ive had 3 and im 27, still having them every two weeks and they are so heavy it turns the toilet bowl so red u cant see anything. its like peering into a carry movie . plus the clots r huge... what the h is wrong with me forrealz
plus the whole week before hand, i become like psycho emotionally anger crazed.

candygurl123 responded:
I been having problems with myself please somebody help me cause it is stressful first I had cervical cancer and I got it removed and I got on the birth control shot and that was in last may of 2012 and not I would have a period for 2 weeks first it would spot then a couple days later I would go to heavy with little blood clots but my cycle would last for 2 weeks it would stop in between for a couple hours then start back up I don't no what to do I no my birth control is gone by now and there should be no reason I should be on my period like this I really want to have another baby but it seem to me that it will never happen to me I don't have no medical

chalicity replied to J_Harrison_Hohner's response:
This was written 5 years ago, but is still helpful and accurate.

Thank you Jane. I've been having a regular 6-day period every 8 days recently - just starting my 5th go of it. My gyno did an ultrasound of the ovaries and uterus, checked the cervix, and several tests including blood count, thyroid, and pregnancy; and all came back fine and negative.

I was always pretty regularly 29 days, until several years ago I went on depo provera for 2 years. I always spotted on it regularly, but after I quit getting the shots my period disappeared COMPLETELY (though I would still get bloated like I did on periods). About 8 - 9 months later, it started up again regularly for 3 months before now going haywire.

I feel a little better after reading your post. Hopefully I am not perimenopausal at 31, and my hormones are just out of whack. Talking to my gyno again soon to see about a next step. Progesterone, huh...?

Thanks again!

Helpful Tips

how can a woman restore sensation in her nipples/breast?
since my last pregnancy in 2005, i have no sensation in my breast when stimulated. If anything, it hurts. I am 43 years old and I know I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.