Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Abnormally High DHEA Sulfate Level
Arizona_Sunshine posted:
A Brief history: About 3 yrs ago, I had a miscarriage between week 16-17. My OB/Gyn had me take Progesterone orally and after I became pregnant again 3 mos later, I soon started having it injected weekly. I have a healthy 2 1/2 yr old son, but ever since his birth, I have been tired, no sex drive and horrible acne. I went to my regular Dr about stress, and she put me on Celexa. She also found my cholesterol was high and started me on Simvastatin. Then, I began using Rosac sulfur wash for the acne, along with MetroGel. After my PAP last month, my new Gyn told me I should have hormones tested, and NOT to take any statins at my age (I'm 37). My hormones all came back normal except the DHEA Sulfate was at 441, rather than between the normal range of 45-270. Aside from Adrenal carcinoma, or glandular tumors, what else might cause this high level? Could the sulfur wash be a culprit? Or am I grasping at straws? I can't get in to see an endocrinologist until mid-Janueary and I am worrying myself sick. Any advice or comments? Please help. Thank you!

Loudblonde responded:
Hi! I just found out last night that my DHEA Sulfate level was high, 441, just like yours. What ended up being the culprit?

I had my blood tested because my hair has been falling out, and I asked to be tested for everything. All of my other hormone levels were fine. I saw my Ob/Gyn last week (before I got the test results) and after doing some research of my own on hair loss in connection with going off my birth control in Sept., she agreed that is most likely what is causing this. Now, in light of my DHEA level being high, looks like something's up with my adrenal gland. I have hypothyroidism from the radiation treatment, but all of those levels have tested fine.

Rare cancers are my specialty, I'm 30 now and was diagnosed and treated for Hodgkin's Disease when I was 20-21 and then had surgery to remove a very rare salivary gland cancer, Acinic Cell Carcinoma, when I was 24. So, given my predilection for rare cancers, this scares me.

Thanks!

mp1979 responded:
Hi,

My DHEA level is very high, 523. Could you please let me know what disease did you have as I am worried.

Thanks.

ma1256 replied to Loudblonde's response:
Hi. Your story is similar to mine. My hair started falling out a couple of years ago and I did tons of research and had lots of blood work done. I knew what types of tests to have done from reading about reasons for hair loss. My hair loss started because I went off the birth control pill. But, I also learned through my blood work that my DHEAS level was very high...300s and eventually got to over 400. My endocrinologist told me I had PCOS even though I didn't have many of the other symptoms associated with PCOS. Truth is you can have a few (which I do) and still have PCOS. He prescribed spironolactone which brought my androgen levels down causing my DHEAS levels to be normal again. My hair stopped falling out like it did. The only problem is that it has not grown back to its original state. Also, if you want to get pregnant, you can't be on this medication.
Hope you found answers you needed to help you...I see you posted this 2 years ago. all the best!

SuziQ743559 replied to mp1979's response:
Mine is very similiar to yours. Did you ever find out what was causing it?

I'm having tests run by an endo, but I'm nervous as to what we might find.

Helpful Tips

birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 73 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.