Skip to content
Vaginal Smell from Sperm
happilymarried98 posted:
Why does the vagina get a fowl smell in it after your partner (husband) has an orgasiam in it?
J_Harrison_Hohner responded:
Dear happilymarried: If this problem is newly apparent (as opposed to every other time you have had non-ejaculate or condom sex) then here is my best GUESS. Bacterial vaginosis (BV) is an overgrowth of anerobic bacteria in the vagina. The reason it smells like dead fish after intercourse or around one's period is that putriscene and cadaverine are released in an alkaline environment (and seminal fluid and menstrual blood are more alkaline than acidic). Some women advocate an acidophilus or yogurt douche treatment . Perhaps this creates a temporary acidic vaginal environment so the smell is not so marked. However, acidophilus does not have the kind of hydrogen peroxide producing lactobacilli needed to rid the vagina of the undesirable BV bacteria. The use of Flagyl/metronidazole or tinidazole, or clindamycin, will kill the anerobes, but they can return unless the hydrogen peroxide producing lactobacilli are there in adequate numbers. Dr. Sharon Hillier, a well known vaginitis researcher (what a job!) has tested many of the over the counter products for BV and not found any of them very effective. Moreover, most GYN discourage regular douching. It?s best to get a reliable diagnosis and get treated at least once with a Rx treatment for BV. Alas, BV can be recurrent. If that is your situation the first choice is to try an alternative form of prescriptive therapy. Some MDs will treat the male partners with a one time dose of Flagyl in an attempt to decrease the woman?s reoccurrences. But the research studies of male partner treatment have not shown a distinct benefit. happilymarried, given that there are no good over the counter options, your best bet is to see your GYN or local family planning clinic for a quick test of your vaginal discharge for BV. Yours, Jane

Helpful Tips

Is it me or or the doctor?
I gave birth to my son may 6th of this year, after i had delivered there was a probem with my placenta so the doctor that delivered my son ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.