Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
ABDOMINAL FLUTTER
RHOND posted:
I am getting worried. for about 5 days I have been feeling what is exactly like the feelings of fetal movement in my abdomen. I am not pregnant. (no intercourse) and took a pregnancy test just because a friend made me. The movement feeling is continually in different places. At times I can feel this with my hand. I feel like I am going crazy. It is starting to scare me. My doctor does not know what I am talking about when I describe the feeling. does anyone else have these abdominal flutters and what causes them?

4oSomething responded:
it is usually caused by gas.

YorkieYelsel responded:
I too have been experiencing abdominal fluttering.. It does feel like fetal movement. For me the fluttering occurs on the left side of my abdomen, upper and lower quadrant. It's been constant for the last few days.. I have experienced it before but not as noticeable or as long as this time. I am surprised that it is such a common thing and that so little is known about it..I am not sick.. it does not hurt and I am guessing that is why , in general, people don't seek medical attention. That's probably why so little is known about it.!! I must admit I am curious as to what is causing them.

_swank_ responded:
This is normal and happens to everyone. It could be gas or just food and whatnot moving through your intestines. I have the same feelings and I don't even have a uterus.

mauricev replied to _swank_'s response:
It is definitely NOT normal. If it were normal, would you posting a query about it? Would your doctor know what you're talking about?

I think the reason why some make are claiming it's normal is that it's a way to rationalize something that they don't understand. This thinking is normal, but your symptom is not.

In fact, it seems to be rare and unusual, so unusual, in fact, medicine has no name for it. We don't really know what it is or what causes it.

georgiagail replied to mauricev's response:
It is neither abnormal nor unusual to feel the sensation of intestinal gas, food and/or liquid moving through the 30 feet of small intestine humans have.

Gail

mauricev replied to georgiagail's response:
That is utterly and completely false. Who makes this stuff up?

Anon_172447 responded:
It sounds like gas to me!

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello mauricev!

Many of Our Members have reported feeling that sensation for many years. Normal things such as, food, stool and so forth can definitely cause sensations and sounds from the abdomen. Just like with many common symptoms, the culprit could be dozens of things. If it is problem or concern for you (you're not just commenting about it), then definitely pursue it with your doctor until you get answers.

This article has a picture of the Abdomen, and lists many conditions that can be related to it and tests that can be done for more information. You can also read Nurse Jane's Reply to another member who experienced 'thumping' in her abdomen.

Hope this helps,

Byroney
Every time I close the door on reality it comes in through the windows. -Jennifer Unlimited-

mauricev replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
The other post actually sounds like something different. I'm referring to specifically what's being reported on the post, namely "abdominal fluttering". Whatever this is, it is not normal nor is it common.
Given that it appears to be relatively rare--the medical community isn't even aware of anything like this and there is no name for it, the name "abdominal fluttering" is the poster's name for it--it's unlikely to get researched. Plus, there are no good tools or methods for doing so, anyway.

jessiwt replied to mauricev's response:
That's the best way to explain it. I'm going through the same thing. Just because we don't know an exact name for it or a cause doesn't mean the medical field has never heard of it. If we knew what it was we wouldn't be here to begin with. "Fluttering" is really the best word to describe the sensation.

Helpful Tips

birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 73 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.