Skip to content
Keloid in hysterectomy scar
joes_mom05 posted:
I went to the doctors yesterday to have a lump on my abdomen where i had a hysterectomy at checked and he thinks it is a keloid that formed from the scar tissue. He gave me script for a cream called Triamconlone cream 0.1% and said that it has a fifty fifty chance of shrinking it. If that doesn't work then i have to go back in three weeks and have an injection of cortisone into it and that may not work either he said . If that doesn't work then he and my obgyn will schedule another surgery to go in at the same incision site and remove the keloid and test it for endometriosis and remove both ovaries along with it and any possible endometriosis that might also be in there once again.

_swank_ responded:
Keloids happen. If you're prone to them you'll get them no matter what. I certainly wouldn't have surgery to remove one since the surgery will just create more scar tissue which is all a keloid is in the first place. After the surgery you'll form another keloid. I can pretty much guarantee the Triamcinolone cream isn't going to work, especially not in three weeks. Neither will the injection. Because I'm prone to keloids my gyn called a plastic surgeon to ask if it was possible to prevent one. He was told to inject a certain amount of steroids along the incision line. He did that and it's the first time I haven't gotten a keloid after surgery. There's not much you can do about them after you get them other than have plastic surgery and even that may not work. If I were you I'd go to a dermatologist or plastic surgeon and make sure you're really dealing with a keloid. If that's the case, your gyn is not the right kind of doctor to be treat it. If the lump is from something else then surgery might be necessary.

joes_mom05 responded:
It was my family doctor who suggested all of this but my obgyn is the one who wants me to have another surgery to take out my ovaries that he didn't take out the first time cause they are causing problems now. He said he has to cut into the same incision anyway to get the ovaries so he might as well cut down the surgical adhesions and remove the keloid at the same time. I personally don't want anymore surgeries for the rest of my life . I have already had four surgeries since 2001 and 3 were just in 2007 alone. But i can't just lie in the bed in pain either. :sad: Is it normal for a keloid to appear and grow pretty quickly and cause sharp pains on and off? It started out as a small lump and is now 2in. long and about an inch wide and is a half inch tall. It's only been there for a week and is bright red. Somedays it hurts to put on pants cause it's along my bikini line.

_swank_ responded:
Yes, those symptoms sound normal for a keloid. They can be very painful. If you need to have surgery to remove your ovaries then you might want to ask your doctor to check with a plastic surgeon. Even if he removes the keloid it will form again. I had the same thing done on my ankle. My doctor was a perfectionist and wanted to really fix my scar while he was doing surgery. He even made me stay on crutches for six weeks so I would not irritate the area. At first it looked like it was going to be a pretty scar, but a couple months later I formed a keloid anyway. It doesn't look as bad as it used to but it's not pretty. I get them everywhere, even scars from arthroscopic surgery are red and raised.

Helpful Tips

Fish Oil Caps
I take triple strength fish oil capsules (1400 mg) for heart health, and it has the added bonus of improving moisture in the eyes and skin. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.