Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Vaginal Vibrations
Emireb3 posted:
I have been experiencing strange vibrations in the vaginal area. They seem to be coming from deep within my body (not anything superficial). I can't tell exactly where they are coming from or why they are occurring. I was thinking it could possibly be from circulating blood or deep muscle twitches. However, they are very rhythmic, so I highly doubt they would be muscle spasms since those are usually irregular. Possibly some sort of nerve issue? Like the nerve is getting pulled or impinged? Could is possibly be a symptom of cauda equina syndrome? Please let me know! Emily M.

J_Harrison_Hohner responded:
Dear Emily:Amazingly, this question arises at least once a month. I have done MULTIPLE literature searches at the National Library of Medicine site, and other search engines--none of which have ever yielded a conclusive answer. My best GUESS is as fasiculations of the pelvic floor muscles. This would be analogous to fasiculations of the muscles of the eye lid. Most of us have had these uncontrollable eye lid spasms ("blephorospasms") at one time or another. The triggers for eye lid spasms are fatigue, caffeine use, stress. Some treatments are pressure applied near to the twitching muscle, or even Botox. Here is a citation on focal dystonias [involuntary muscle contractions> from the National Library of Medicine site: Tenn Med. 1997 Jan;90(1):18-20. Links Adult-onset focal dystonias: presentation and treatment options.Esper GJ, Charles PD, Davis TL, Robertson D. Department of Neurology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN, 37212 USA. Adult-onset focal dystonias (AFD) are common disorders that are often misdiagnosed and incorrectly treated. Their presentation is readily recognized, and botulinum toxin has become the agent of choice for treating these disorders. Most of the focal dystonias include cervical dystonia[CERVICAL MEANS NECK NOT CERVIX IN VAGINA--JHH>, blepharospasm, oromandibular dystonia, spasmodic dysphonia, and limb dystonia, specifically writer's cramp. Their onset is either idiopathic, familial, or post-traumatic, and the pathophysiology of the focal dystonias is not currently known. Local injections of botulinum toxin into the affected area result in chemical denervation of the muscle, resulting in a weakness of the muscles that are involved in the sustained contractions. This weakness alleviates the painful contraction of the dystonia. In this paper we present a case study of the most common type of focal dystonia, cervical dystonia. The etiology in this case was post-traumatic, and significant improvement resulted after treatment with botulinum toxin type A. For more information on the more severe forms of focal dystonias this website offers a good overview: www.dystonia.org.uk/about-dystonia-page7541.html Yours, Jane

Helpful Tips

Itchy Nipple (Right Side)
Hi my name is Jennifer. I am 21 years old. I have a concern about having a very itchy nipple on the very tip and no reason why its itching. ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.