Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Vaginal Edema after a c-section????
cwhit29 posted:
I had a c-section on February 2nd. On the day of my dismissal from the hospital on February 6th, I noticed that my vagina felt very swollen and slightly uncomfortable. I was able to look with a mirror and to my horror the left labia was huge!!!!! This swelling has gotten better over the last several days, but the doctor who did my c-section said she had never had anything like this happen after a c-section before. She thinks its just dependant edema. Has anyone had this happen before? Has anyone's vagina ever swelled up after they had a c-section? Please help, I am scared and confused. Thanks

kittentraxx responded:
My Mom had a hysterectomy (same incision as C/S) and had the same thing afterward. It took a week or so to go away. If it lasts past that I would see your Doc.

cwhit29 responded:
Did they ever tell your mother caused this type of swelling? I have already seen the doctor that did my c section and she evaluated the area while it was still terribly swollen. She had no idea what would have caused this collection of fluid in this area. She has been doing c sections for years, and said she had never seen this happen. Did they give her any idea why this happened to her?

rosygt responded:
I just saw your post and by now you probably got your answers..But I also had the same problem the day after my third c-section. Both the nurse and OBG at the hospital never saw that happen. At first I thought I became allergic to latex, because I also developed a rash on my bottox. The swelling went away within a couple of days, but it remained a mistery, the rash was horrible for 4 months and spreaded to ankles and arms and aftr seing an Allergyst and Dermatologyst, they told me I have Neurologycal Exema due to "stress"!!!

Helpful Tips

dealing with anxiety and bipolor episodes
dont know how to cope with issues of everyday life without wanting to cry, or break down in depression, its addecting my marriage what can ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.