Skip to content
Yeast Infection after Sex
kurell2003 posted:
I do not have sex often with my boyfriend, but when I do, a yeast infections always seems to follow. We do have unprotected sex. I use the over the counter cures like Monistat 7. The symptoms clear up, but once I have sex maybe one or two times the symptoms come back. I have been with my boyfriend for 5 years and this just started year ago. Also a year ago, I switched from Sprintec, a generic brand of birth control, to Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo. I went to the doctor for an annually and everything was normal. She did not say that I had a yeast infection although at that time I was not having any symptoms. I do not know what to do. Should I have her check me for an STD or does that come with the the annual exam?

J_Harrison_Hohner responded:
Dear kurell: Routine STD testing for chlamydia MIGHT be done if you are age 25 or less and using a family planning clinic. Many GYN offices will not do STD testing unless there is a reason (eg symptoms or a new sexual partner). I would suggest that you see your GYN or clinic one time when the symptoms are present just to confirm the diagnosis of yeast. If your suspicion is correct then you can continue to treat with an over the counter product. In terms of why does this seem to happen only after intercourse, there are several POSSIBLE explanations. 1. You may have a low grade population of yeast as part of your normal vaginal ecology. In one small study of 26 women followed for two months, only four maintained ?normal? vaginal conditions. Eight had intermittent yeast (?candida?) overgrowths. Intercourse then causes irritation which makes the yeast symptoms flare. 2. Receiving oral sex has been linked to vaginal yeast as noted in this citation from the National Library of Medicine: J Womens Health Gend Based Med. 2000 Jul-Aug;9(6):645-55. Sexual behaviors and other risk factors for Candida vulvovaginitis.Reed BD, Gorenflo DW, Gillespie BW, Pierson CL, Zazove P. Department of Family Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 48109, USA. Sexual behaviors are associated with many genital infections, but the role of sexual variables as risk factors for Candida vulvovaginitis has not been clearly determined. To assess the association between sexual behaviors and other risk factors with the presence of Candida vulvovaginitis, we performed a case-control study comparing these potential risk factors in women with and without culture-documented Candida vulvovaginitis in two Midwestern community-based medical offices. Participants included 156 women with Candida vulvovaginitis and 92 controls, ages 18-60. Risk factors for Candida vulvovaginitis, including sexual and partnership behaviors, demographic data, past genital infections, exposures, and diet, were investigated using logistic regression. The presence of Candida vulvovaginitis was positively associated with recent cunnilingus ..., but was less likely in women who masturbated with saliva in the previous month.. . Other independent risk factors included knowing the sexual partner a shorter period of time... . Increased number of sexual partners, early age at first intercourse, and increased frequency of intercourse are not related to risk. 3. The role of men as carriers is controversial: Saudi Med J. 2000 Nov;21(11):1065-7. The value of treating the male partner in vaginal candidiasis.Shihadeh AS, Nawafleh AN. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, King Hussein Medical Center, PO Box 941649, Al Shemesani, Amman, Jordan. awad_Shihadeh@yahoo.com OBJECTIVE: To determine whether treatment of the sexual partners of women with vulvo-vaginal candidiasis with oral Ketoconazole can affect the cure and recurrence rate of candida vaginitis. METHODS: A total number of 144 women with vaginal candidiasis were treated with Ketoconazole 400 mg daily for 7 days, and half the male partners were treated with Ketoconazole 400 mg daily for 7 days. All women had physical follow-up examination, and mycological cultures were obtained at one week and four weeks after the start of treatment. The incidence of predisposing factors or of a recurrence history did not differ between treatment groups. Chi-square test was used to determine the significance of difference between the two groups with or without simultaneous treatment of the male partners. RESULTS: In the control group (untreated partners) 53 of 72 patients were cured after one week, with a cure rate of 74%, compared to 57 of 72 patients (treated partners) with a cure rate of 79%. The recurrence rate in the control group (untreated partners) 4 weeks after the start of treatment was 28 of 53 (53%), compared to 35 of 57 (61%) in the (untreated partners) group. No significant statistical difference was found. Yours

ccmustang responded:
I also developed yeast infections after sex but have found a cure for me at least. If I take a quick shower using anti bacteria soap, Dial, so far so good for the last 2 years.

kurell2003 responded:
Thanks for the reply. I have a questions. Did you take the shower before or after sex?

Helpful Tips

Prenatal Yoga
The best thing about this prenatal yoga program is that there is a model for each trimester. Instructor Shiva Rea demonstrates each of the ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 9 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.