Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
14 day period
blw1289 posted:
ive been on my period for 14 days my usual cycle is for only four days. I am on birth control the yaz ive been on it for a while with no complications. i am really concernd and wondering if i need to see a physician if some one could please give me some advice i would greatly appreciate it. thanks

J_Harrison_Hohner responded:
Dear blw:There are two major reasons for very prolonged/heavy periods: hormonal and what I call "structural". "Structural" means when excessive bleeding is due to actual problems within the cavity or walls of the uterus. Some examples of this would include fibroids of the uterus, endometriosis of the wall of the uterus ("adenomyosis"), infections of the lining of the uterus (eg chlamydia), polyps of the uterine lining, or even uterine cancer. Since birth control pills (BCPs) are protective against uterine cancer, I really doubt this applies to you. Hormonal causes are usually linked to missed or erratic ovulations. But in a woman using BCPs this is not likely since the BCPs are designed to over ride ovulation. Most commonly, prolonged bleeding of sudden onset in a BCP user is related to a BCP side effect. While missed/late pills are the usual culprit, sometimes it can happen spontaneously. Your best bet is to contact your GYN or clinic. They can obtain a more complete history from you and give you a "for sure" answer. They may advise you to keep taking the Yaz and see if your cycle resets itself at the end of the pack; they could advise you to skip down to the placebo pills. They can also assess your risk for an infection such as chlamydia, and have you do a pregnancy test. In that way all the possible causes can be addressed. Yours, Jane

blw1289 responded:
thank you very much for answering my concerns. i also forgot to mention though i had missed my period for almost a month and a half, and i came on my period during the middle of spring break after partying and drinking could this alson be an effect? and if not i have no health insurance anymore can a free clinic help my problem? or is it even serious enough for me to go a health clinic? please write back thank you

Helpful Tips

Spotting
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.