Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Aspirin during period
Brujita85 posted:
I was told by several people and one pharmacist that if a woman takes aspirin during her period it can increase the length of her period because aspirin thins the blood. I cant find anything on the internet that supports this claim, but I dont believe it anyway. I know aspirin does thin the blood, but that is the blood that is currently being pumped by my heart. I dont think that includes the blood that is involved with my menstruation... Or am I wrong? Any ideas?

Dorothea_WebMD_Staff responded:
As someone without a medical background, this is my take on your question. Menstrual "bleeding" is not the same thing as bleeding from, say, a cut. For bleeding from a cut to cease, the blood has to clot and the ability of blood to clot can be compromised to some degree by aspirin, from what I understand. A menstrual period is the shedding of the lining of the uterus that had built up in order to nourish a fetus should a fertilized egg implant. That lining needs to be shed after implantation does not take place and I cannot think of any way that "thinning" of the blood in the bloodstream would have any impact on the volume of the lining that needs to be shed. So, again given that I do not have a medical background, I agree with you. It does not seem logical to me that aspirin would have an effect on the length of your period. Someone else may have a different take on this, though. " align="top" border="0"> Dorothea

Helpful Tips

dealing with anxiety and bipolor episodes
dont know how to cope with issues of everyday life without wanting to cry, or break down in depression, its addecting my marriage what can ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.