Skip to content
Labia are numb and tingly
tifrn posted:
My labial area has felt numb and tingling for the last several hours. It's a very strange feeling. There is no pain or discharge, other than that i started my menses today. I have not had intercouse in several days. I am married and he is my only sexual partner. I had a baby 7 months ago, but this is the first time that I have experienced this. I do not have an STD or any evidence of an infection. I looked down there with a mirrow and the edges of my labia minora are purple. I don't know if they're always like that not. I've never really noticed what color they were before. Any ideas?

JHarrison_Hohner_RN responded:
Dear tifrn: My best GUESS, given what you have shared is that the sensations are linked to the onset of menstruation, production of prostaglandins (substance that causes cramping of the uterus), and "referred pain". Just like some women can experience contractions of labor in their back or down the thighs, sometimes menstrual cramps can produce pain/heaviness/numbness in the groin/vulva. Another POSSIBILITY would be related to the pudendal nerve entrapment. Here is a decent discussion of this and triggering factors (eg bike seat problems): en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pudendal_Nerve_Entrapment The coloration on the labia minor may be normal. Color can vary according to skin tone, amount of vascularity/blood flow. If the sensation of numbness persists please see your OB/GYN. You might want to do a Google search on pudendal nerve for additional information. Yours, Jane

Spears33 responded:
My left labia has periodically been going numb and tingly. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with my cycle either. Its usually after I stand up but not necessarily after I have been sitting for a long time. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it happens. It has recently started to spread down part of my inner thigh. It is always on the left side. There is no pain and it usually passes within a minute but its very bizarre. Any guesses of whats going on?

chloe1206 responded:
I also have this. It doesn't last for very long and it doesn't hurt. it just gets numb and tingly. Its also on my left side every single time. it doesn't happen all the time, but it's been going on for some years. It's not a bother, just odd. What is it?

Helpful Tips

Weight loss after pregnancy
I had baby number 2 6 months ago and still cannot lose any pregnancy weight. I read hints and tips on the Internet but it is all ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.