Skip to content
Chills before period starts?
michiv posted:
I get on and off chills right before my period starts lately. Has anyone had this before? I am 43 yrs old and experiencing night sweats too. Oh boy....it sucks being in your 40's sometimes.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Mich,

I have never had that symptom of PMS. My 19 yo always has though. Have you checked with the women on the Menopause/Peri Menopause Support Group ?

dor514 responded:
Yes, I am 42 and for the past few years, during my period I feel like I have the flu - body aches and chills.

islandtimes responded:
I get chills sometimes before my period starts and often during my period. I'm 51.I've been getting this for at least the last 5 years. I also get horrible migraines before, during and after my period and have since I was a teenager. Nothing has changed over the years and it's almost impossibe for me to hold a regular job due to my poor attendance. I have migraine medicines, but they really don't work for the bad ones. The chills don't really bother me. It's the pain of the migraines that I can't deal with. I can't take hormone replacement. It will make my migraines worse. An aspirin might help with the chills if you can't tolerate them.I'm just wondering when my period will end.

tjsgram responded:
I thought I was losing my mind. I am 41 and this has been going on the last few months. I teach so every time I have come home thinking that I have come down with the flu. But I get home take a warm shower go to bed and feel much better the next morning. It does take a few days to feel 100 percent back to normal. Is this a sign of menopause? If it is I wish it would get over with.

nsbd123 replied to tjsgram's response:
I have this too. In the past several years I have nausea, chills and achey joints during the first few days of my period. I love to run and work out, but now during my period I rest and take it easy. I find that I look forward to it knowing that i am going to take the workouts off my to-do list. I had my iron level and thyroid checked in the past year and both were normal.

An_238715 responded:
I have been having those exact sympoms for the past 2 years, except mine are almost always 6 days before my period starts. I thought I was going nuts at first. My doctor didn't have a clue! Then I just assumed that it was perimenopause. (I have been having symptoms of that for the last 10 years...) BTW, I am 38.

mommyminty replied to An_238715's response:
I get very achy breasts, chills, fatigue, and a stuffy nose right before I start my period. This has been going on since I started my period again after giving birth to my twins. I am 30. =/

Helpful Tips

Weight loss after pregnancy
I had baby number 2 6 months ago and still cannot lose any pregnancy weight. I read hints and tips on the Internet but it is all ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.