Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Arm fatigue?
ShivaChi posted:
Don't know where else to post this, maybe someone here knows something since my doctors don't know jack.

I'm 27 now and since I was 18 I've had a problem with my right arm fatiguing for no reason! I was working out at the time it started and it was horrible. It doesn't hurt, just gets really, really tired. I noticed it when I was lifting weights that I was able to do just the week before for 10 or more reps with no problem. When it started I could only get to 10 with major effort on my right arms behalf, the left was fine. It progressed to the point where I could only do like 5 reps on that arm before it was too dead to do anymore. I did mention it to the doctors but they didn't really seem thrilled about it so I just let it drop and lived with it. My left arm started having this problem too, can't remember when it started though. And it's not like I just sit and do nothing all day, I work, drive to work, work on a computer and do other things around the house at home that require the use of my arms. My left arm will fatigue while I'm driving! I don't have a problem with driving, it's just my arm gets tired so I have to work harder and keep my mind off it so I don't think about it or I'll want to switch hands on the wheel. My arms fatigue petting my dogs for God's sake.

There is no reason for this but my doctors don't care. I have a wrist problem they don't care about either. They've taken x-rays and because they can't see anything wrong on the x-ray, oopp, nothing's wrong with it. I just have stabbing pain that shoots up my arm when it's really hurting and I put weight on it for no reason. My right shoulder also started popping when I was 18, basically at the same time the arm fatigue problem started. I can literally pop my shoulder out of the joint and back in. I can do it on purpose or by accident by simply reaching above me to grab something and when I bring it back down it will pop. It doesn't cause pain, except to my ears(and not pain like it makes my ears hurt, just figuratively speaking) due to the noise of it. And again, my doctors don't care even though I've demonstrated it for them.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be so I have something to bring to my doctor? I don't want to go back and complain and not have anything change because they don't care. I'm really starting to hate doctors because of all this "Nothing's wrong with you because we can't see it on an x-ray crap"! Obviously, something is wrong with me or I would have these problems! I don't want to have to switch clinics and start all over again, I'd just like to find out what's wrong with me and if it can be fixed.

Any suggestions?

ShivaChi responded:
Oops, meant to say "wouldn't" have these problems in the last paragraph.

sunset45 responded:
Would saying that your arms go weak be more accurate? Do they go numb and tingle? Your doctors don't know what the problem is obviously. I can imagine there are many things that could be causing this. I imagine the doctors are doing a wait and see what happens kind of thing. If you get more symptoms, they might be able to figure it out. It could be an auto-immune problem which is hard to diagnose without more than one symptom. Don't give up on it. Keep a journal of when it happens, does anything seem to make it worse or better? Things like that. What about your diet. Are you getting enough vitamins. Are you getting enough sleep. Good luck!

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Shiva, Please realize that you can't be diagnosed over the internet but you may want to use the Symptom Checker tool at the top of the page to find articles that may be relevant to your questions. Because you mention that you are having problems with your shoulder and arm including weakness you may want to consult with an orthopedic surgeon. X rays can only show bone and not any soft tissue damage including any tendon or muscle tears, ligament damage, or nerve damage. I've pulled up this article for you: Shoulder Problems and Injuries -- Topic Overview to get you started before your doctor's visit. Good luck! - Annie

ShivaChi responded:
No, my arms don't get numb and tingle when this is happening. They just are too tired to go on doing what I'm doing at that time. They can if I force them, but it's not fun as they only get more tired. The only way I can put it is imagine you're lifting weights, you do 10 reps and your arms start to get tired, but you push yourself to do 5 more and they're more tired, you decide to try to do 5 more anyway and while trying to do the second of the 5 more your arms just don't want to do it anymore, you can't go on. I'm wondering if the arm problem could be a pinched nerve or something. That could explain it, but unless they decide to care and decide to something other then an x-ray, they won't find it.

I personally think most of the doctors I've seen just don't care. I've popped my shoulder for them and they all but said "that's nice, but there's nothing wrong with it". How can there be nothing wrong with my shoulder when I can pop it in and out of the joint and I haven't been able to do it my whole life? My wrist and stabbing pain shooting up my arm? Yet nothing is wrong with it according to them.

I doubt I'm getting enough sleep. I have problems falling asleep and staying asleep and I wake up dead tired. Nothing helps this either, not going to bed earlier or taking a sleep aid. If I go to bed at 9 I'll spend a half hour to an hour or more just laying there trying to fall asleep, this no matter how tired I am, no matter if I take a bath before bed or read before bed. I believe I know what is causing this though.

I'm taking a multi vitamin and vitamin C as I got sick quite a bit last winter and decided taking a vitamin C was worth trying.

Someone suggested I see a neurologist since the regular doctors don't want to help me. I'll look into that if they don't want to help me this time. I have to go in to see if I can get some relieft from my back pain. I wouldn't be dealing with back pain if I hadn't sprained my ankle last year. I was already out of whack before spraining my ankle, after I was severly out of whack due to the inability to walk normally for so long so my back was thrown even further out of whack then it was before.

About the only people that seem to actually want to help me are chiropractors and I can't afford them as they'd want me to come in at least 3 times a week and it would take a long time to get me all straighted out. If I went to one in my insurance network 3 time a week I'd be paying $45 to $60 a week depending on if my co-pay is $15 or $20 and I can't afford that.

It's just so annoying that I've tried to get help for these problems and the doctors simply refuse to help me because there's not an easy answer to my problem. If it was as simple as seeing something on my skin causing it or a broken bone(since they love to take x-rays but nothing else), they'd figure it out with no problem, but since it's not, they don't want to waste their time trying to figure out what's wrong with me. I have other problems and these medical problems just add to the existing problems and make my life even worse.

jhyland343 responded:
ive been searching all over the internet for years for the problem that you have.well we both have.every thing that you explained is what i use to tell my doctors.and as you said its almost as they dont care.Ive had 2 mri's done and 2 xrays.also had blood tests for arthritis.they thought it could be rheumatoid arthritis because it was both of my shoulders.it started at my right first.stayed like that for about a year then my left crapped the bed.it does suck horribly.i cant even twist a screwdriver without my shoulder dying on me.and the driving thing pisses me off.i gave up on doctors.im 20 by the way.it started when i was about 16.i was in good shape.worked out 4 days out of the week and ran every other day.so please tell me you know whats wrong with you now..thanks

scrunner25 responded:
have they done any diagnositics for auto-immune disorders like MS or Lou Gehrig's? It may be a good idea to check out a neurologist too, to check for nerve damage. i can't believe that your doctor's have only tried xrays!!! i would suggest finding a primary care practitioner instead of going to urgent cares/med clinics. urgent care centers are reliant on the triage system, so "non-severe" cases may not get as much attention as others (trust me, i've gone to urgent care for all sorts of issues and have yet to walk out of one with a diagnosis; they just tell me to see my primary physician) and also, sometimes a fresh pair of eyes looking at your case can lead to a breakthrough!

good luck!!!

franklyj responded:
Question, I have the same problems that you describe, been going on for yrs and progressively getting worse. Dr. has no clue and has taken half my blood for test. I have tried working thru it and it spreads to my jaws so I have to stop and let it rest. Heart
Dr. assures me its not my heart, so I am now in the middle of test again, it would be nice to have an answer.

Helpful Tips

how can a woman restore sensation in her nipples/breast?
since my last pregnancy in 2005, i have no sensation in my breast when stimulated. If anything, it hurts. I am 43 years old and I know I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.