Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Anyone had a bladder lift?
My2girls1978 posted:
I am 30 years old, mother of 2 young girls, and an avid runner/exerciser. I went to a urologist today for my bladder leakage problems. I leak when I laugh, cough, sneeze, and run. It's extremely frustrating. After my last race where I finished with my pants soaked completely through, I decided it was time to do something. The doctor recommended that I have a bladder (sling) lift. Of course, he mentioned risks and benefits, but for something I was so gung ho about to begin with, now I have some concern. He said that there is no heavy lifting, really forever. Not that I do a great deal of heavy lifting, but I do some strength training when I work out and sometimes I can be seen doing landscaping in my yard, or moving furniture around, or even picking up my kids when they need me (they're 4 & 5.) I do want relief from my incontinence, but I also don't want to end up with other problems as a result. Anyone who has had this surgery and can offer some advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks- ashley
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
That would concern me too. Did you get clarification on what heavy lifting consists of?

Several people on our Urinary and Bladder Support Group. have had this surgery. You should ask there.

_Paula responded:
I just had it done about 5 weeks ago........great results- and if it wasn't for some hip pain due to positioning during the surgery I would have not even known I had anything done. my doc told me to avoid lifting, but did not say forever. I had my post op check up and nothing was mentioned. I do not think it is a forever thing. I am very happy with my results....My doc did tell me to be sure I was done having kids as that will just mess it up......DH was definate, so we decided we were done----now he has baby fever......I am thinking no

jennifer361972 responded:
Ashley, I recently had a bladder lift and my aunt told me that her gyno told her no lifting over 20 pounds for the rest of her life. My gyno didn't tell me anything about this either but I go for my 6 week check up in two weeks and I will ask. I wasn't happy when my aunt gave me this info because like you I do exercises that include strength training. But my results so far are wonderful. I still catch myself assuming the position of not peeing on myself before a sneeze. I will post more info when I have my appointment. Good luck and keep us posted on any info.

njw753 responded:
I just celebrated my 1 year anniversay of the bladder sling. It was simply the best thing I've ever done. I was dry from the moment surgery was over. And I have not leaked one drop during this past year. It's so wonderful to not be padded and feel like I'm diapered.

My doctor told me this week for my 1 year checkup that he can't even tell I had surgery and everything looks great.

I agree with the poster that my hips hurt after for a few days from the position. I felt like my legs were around my neck! I only had to take one pain pill the day after. Other than that, the surgery was a breeze, very little pain.

I could not have sex for 4 weeks and no heavy lifting for 6 weeks. After that it was do whatever you want, but work into it gradually. I have no restrictions on lifting at all.

And those of you that leak, you know the pose....you're shopping and have the urge to sneeze, so you look around hoping no one can see you, cross your legs, squeeze and sometimes even have to use your hand to press in.....

For a while after surgery, I would automatically get into the "pose". But now, I don't even think about it. I sneeze, cough, lift and do whatever I want without any worry.

Ok, so here's the thing...make sure you have a doctor that is experienced in bladder slings. I think experience is very important to the success of it.

I would do it again in a heartbeat. I only wish I did it years ago.

I do think that surgery now is so much better and successful than it was ever 5 years ago. I told my doctor that I wish I'd done it years ago and he said it might not have been as successful.

I did see a video of the surgery that I found on-line. Not sure I should have watched it, but I did!!! It was pretty graphic. lol...

Good luck!

Nancy

MsPollock2056 responded:
yes, about 15 yrs ago I had my first bladder tack, then about 10 yrs later I had to go back and re-do the tack with the saddle. It really worked for a few years, Since I was young and very active, and I was having so many embrassing problems, whether at work, school with my 2 daughters, church, where ever I had to het some help, I also take meds if I am going to be somewhere I can't get to a restroom quickly, they also make a great difference in my security of not leaking out. I am now 51yrs old and am going to have to do again. when i am going on a trip i take the meds they used to work a few years ago, with surgery again i will be close back to whats normal for me. please keep in touch and let me know what you decide.

njw753 responded:
Please keep in mind that a bladder tack is not the same thing as a bladder sling. A sling uses a piece of mesh fabric that goes throught the hip bones and supports the urethra. A tack is just that....attaches the bladder to something. Not sure what they attach it too.

misty2misty responded:
I had this surgery in June of 09. I'm still leaking when I snee and cough and run and laugh. I'm very frustrated and dissapointed, plus out the cost of the surgery.

DebbiLR responded:
I had the bladder sling in 2006. I do not leak but do have bladder spasms and pain there are days that I can not stand myself. I just read that the FDA has had over 1000 complaints on the bladder sling mesh that is used.

Please read all you can about the product that will be used to do the surgery. Do the research. Check the FDA website.

lolarson2 responded:
I had a hysterectomy, anterior and posterior repair and a bladder lift with a mesh sling done 5 weeks ago. We have tried to come off of the foley catheter 6 times now with no success. I can void but just not enough. I can never get less than 150ml residual urine. I am so distressed. I had stress incontinence and elected this surgical procedure. Now, if I cant void enough by Tuesday I will need another surgery to release some of the sling ( a small incision into the mesh at the bottom of the sling, by the urethra). I am frustrated but have every trust in my doctor (whom I have had for over 25 years). Even this new surgery comes with a risk of urinating on myself. Any hope from anyone with this situation?Thanks... Lori

14216 responded:
Had sling surgery in 2006. Previous to the surgery, had five pregnancies (not all successful births). Resulting bladder drop caused leakage that had curtailed lifestyle. Couldn't partake in family activities (ice skating) or sports (running); also had to watch when laughing, coughing, sneezing, or even if someone bumped into me with any force. Surgery did immediately fix those problems. Have not had any leakage since that time. Did not develop any other problems. Definitely improved lifestyle.

Now have read that others have had problems with the sling. In hopes to avoid the problems, I'm seeking information. Wondering what problems others experienced, and what they think caused it. What were the symptoms? What other factors lead up to it?

jensling replied to lolarson2's response:
I had an anterior and posterior repair with a bladder sling lift this week. I'm post-op day 4 and still have my catheter because of failed attempts to "pee". My doc put me on Flomax which I had an allergic reaction to. I'm taking a low dose of milk of magnesia to help soften the BM's. One of my most painful issues is hip pain. So bad that I struggle to sit on the toilet. Did this happen to anyone else? Here's to hoping I start recovering a little more postiviely.

Allie26 responded:
My mom had bladder lift surgery this jan 2012 and she hasn't been herself since. They used mesh to help her with her problem. The only thing is the mesh that they used was never tested to see if it can we placed in the uterus. Well, it turns out it can not be used in the uterus and it is now eroding and causing her severe pain, it has even caused nerve damage and she has to use a cane. She has to take oxycet and she still is in severe pain. Also I have done some research and it says even if you go with the mesh to correct the incontinence it doesn't usually work. So do your own research and please make sure the mesh ( if used ) hasn't been recalled by the FDA, etc.

An_250838 replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi Louise.
I just turned 50 and i had a bladder lift when i was 40 and the material desinigtated, So i had to have a second surger with new material. What arer the chances i will need another?
i can't hold my urine at all i'm having lots of accidents
D

Helpful Tips

an over the counter item that helps me
I like AZO "for PMS". It has natural ingredients. One time I got dizzy and had to leave church and go lay down in the car. Then went to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.