Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
hair loss 42 year old female
larwood posted:
I am 42 and I am losing my hair steadily all over. I was checked 9 months ago and was found to be anemic. My doctor put me on two iron a day and said it would help - it has not. My thyroid was check and found to be normal. I am 5'7" and normal weight at 138. I actively workout...4/5 days a week. Any suggestions to stop or help with my hairloss?

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Are you under a lot of stress? Have you been back to the doctor after starting the iron treatment?

Here is some information on Causes of Hair Loss that might help as well as Hair Loss in Women. Here is some information on Treating Hair Loss in Women.

Reevesteam responded:
I am 50 now but when i was 40 I started loosing my hair. I have a large part toward the front and it makes me crazy because it is hard to cover over. I have not found anything to get it to grow back yet. I am also frustrated and had the same tests and found nothing wrong. I bet if this was a man problem we would have a cure. Carol

Hil92571 responded:
I was 42 when I started to lose my hair. It started with an intense itching in my scalp. I had blood work done, thyroid, CBC, and a host of tests but they were all OK. I have an older sister who had hair loss starting in her late 30s. I got Rogaine(women strength)and the hair grew back. It is not as long as the rest of myhair but the baldness is gone and I can cover the area a lot easier. The Rogain is over the counter and if it works for you then you have to continue to use it or else the hair loss would start again. It sure beats a wig for me. I get the Rogaine from Walmart--it's somewhat expensive but it beats having a bald spot on the top of my head.

vocelloduo responded:
FOLIC ACID . . . at least 800 mg a day but if you can get your doctor to prescribe it, it comes in 1000mg by prrescription only. I've taken it for years because a medicine I take promotes hair loss and it really helps.

davis

inRaleigh responded:
Oh, I wish I could share all of my research with you. I think it would give you hope but since that's not realistic here's a short synopsis...

I will be 42 in a month, am also 5' 7" but currently weigh about 15 pounds more than you. About 18 months ago (after being on a beta blocker for about 6 months and beginning to lose weight through diet and vigorous exercise) started to lose hair. It was so overwhelming for me that I started counting and recording the number of hairs that I lost each day (I was saving them in plastic zip top baggies) - the highest count was 211 after one combing. The number of hairs lost per day determined if it was generally a good or bad day, I had nightmares about hair loss, etc. It was consuming my life.

Blood work found that my Ferritin level was very low (mine was 15 and the normal range is 10-291). My thyroid was also normal. I have a very understanding and compassionate doctor who helped me get to the root of what I believe was my problem. I stopped the beta blocker (prescribed to me for migraine prevention and a documented cause of hair loss), started taking iron pills and tried to consume more iron rich foods (both heme and non-heme).

I did lots of research (limiting myself to reputable sources like WebMD, NIH, CDC etc). One article on the NIH website seemed to describe me perfectly; 1) I was a frequent blood donor (cause of iron loss), 2) engage in "regular, intense exercise" as I train for triathlons (this type of exercise can lead to "marginal or inadequate iron status") and 3) am a female of "childbearing age, especially those with heavy menstrual losses"

Through this research, I also found that taking Vitamin C and a B Complex with the iron pill is supposed to help absorption. I take two iron pills per day spaced relatively evenly through the day; one pill I take with a Vit C and a B Complex, the other I take only with a Vit C. I also try to take the iron pill on an empty stomach (luckily I don't have any of the gastrointestinal side effects from taking the iron pills). My doctor suggested regular blood work (every 6-8 weeks) to check my Ferritin levels and to make sure I wasn't getting too much iron. And sure enough, as my Ferritin levels started going up my hair loss started decreasing. I read that Ferritin levels need to be above a 70 to start to re-grow hair.

My hair loss dramatically slowed and hair has returned. I no longer count the number of hairs I lose per day. My hair thickness may not be what it once was but I truly believe that I'm the only person who can notice. I hope this gives you hope to continue the iron supplements and maybe add the Vitamin C and Bs (my doctor told me that both Bs and C vitamins are water soluble but check with your doctor first just to make sure it's safe for you).

I know how traumatic this is and hope that you find serenity and a re-growth of hair.

Malinda213 responded:
I am 31 and stress for me will do it. Also I have recently found out through my hairstylist that possibly some medications that you take over the counter along with prescription medication can cause some hair loss. I asked my pharmacist and was told this is possible

fg1112 responded:
I had the same problem, My Dr. checked my Vit D level, and it was very low. The Vit D I am referring to is the D you get from being in the sun. He prescribed me 50,000 units and I increased my sun exposure. totally cured my issues. I was also getting hudge kidney stones and Vit D helped with this problem also. What a difference. As soon as I start loosing my hair it is the first sign that my D level is back down and every time it proves to be true and I go back on D and go back out into the sun for at least 15 min a day and It is resolved! I wish you well.

sarikabirari responded:
Dear Larwood, You need hot oil treatment along with lot of ruffage food. Lot of fruits. You can get herbal hair oil from India, which containts extract of herbs. Take 20 ml of oil heat it in little bowl (metal). Dip cotton swob into it & apply it on all over your hair roots (scalp) Oil temp should be around 40 - 50 degree C. After that massage gently your scap with fingure tips for 45 minutes. Now take very hot water & deep thick towel into it & sprung it well, remove extra hot water, now cover it on your scalp. Repeat this for 4 to 5 times after every 10 minutes. Now you can comb your hair. You should keep oil in hair overnite, next morning can wash it with luke warm water. To begin with you will find lot of hair loss but after week your hair root will get strenthen & hair loss will be reduced. Do it for at least 6 months. Sarika

BevCredelle responded:
Hello larwood,

As a hair care consultant I must tell you that the majority of the suggestions you received are good ones. First thing to check is your stress level. Signs of hair loss due to stress breakage is found at the root level. If your roots look as if someone has chopped away at your hair (close to the scalp) leaving your hair with a thinned out appearance then you are more than likely suffering from stress. However, I must say that if you worry about your hair loss then your hair will break from stress.

The suggestion someone gave for the hot oil treatment is good. I highly recommend that you use Olive Oil (the kind you cook with) for your hot oil treatment. Olive Oil is excellent for the hair as a hot oil treatment. Do not run out to your local beauty supply store to purchase product for hot oil treatments. Go in your kitchen instead. Next I want to tell you that it is imperative that you take 50 mg of Zinc, at night only, to help strengthen the hair from the inside. Also do not sleep against a cotton pillowcase because this robs the hair of moisture and causes the hair to break and shed more. Rest your head against silk or satin only. What do you shampoo your hair with? If you use products with sulfates and parabens this too is causing problems. May I suggest J.R. Liggett's bar shampoo. You can find it online. The J.R. Liggett line of bar shampoos are all natural and will help to restore the natural moisture to you hair and possibly prevent further or stop your hair loss. Last thing is diet is key. Someone else responded to you about the diet. Lots of green leafy vegetables and fresh fruits will definitely do you some good. There is so much more to say about this subject but I will keep it brief based on the information you already provided.

Beverly Credelle Native Touch Natural Hair Studio

cathy6154 responded:
Beverly, you had some very good information as did most of the comments posted. Hair loss is a serious issue but it is not hopeless. If you want your hair to look and stay healthy, you need to be sleeping on a satin pillowcase. Just like you mentioned Beverly. I had heard a lot about them from friends and also from my stylist. She told me that cotton causes friction leaving you with split ends and frizzes. It also is naturally absorbent so it pulls the vital oils and moisture from your hair and skin. The combination of dried out hair along with weakened ends due to the friction that cotton creates is also one of the causes of hair loss. When sleeping on satin, your hair just gently moves across the top of the pillowcase and doesn't get stuck in one spot or caught in the fibers, like it does when sleeping on cotton. I switched to a satin pillowcase and I?ve seen a huge difference in my hair and also with my skin. I don?t wake up with those pillowcase lines on my face in the morning either. I found a website that has a page devoted to the benefits of sleeping on satin. The company is A Touch Of Satin. You can Google their website if you want to read about the benefits of satin and see what they offer. I think you'll find it interesting....Good Luck!

melissalexf replied to inRaleigh's response:
Hello I hope you still read this thread and see this. I'm a 39 female who has been on weight watchers since January I've lost about 16 lbs and about a month ago began to shed hair the last few weeks have left me in tears once I wash my hair. I wash every 3rd and I lose globs of hair. So afraid I went it des yesterday and he ran a slew of test it'll be about a week before we get results. I'm eating better then ever and hear I am. My ferritin level was last at a 16. He believes this is telogen effluvium. I'm afraid of balding. If I can ask how bad of balding did you get too and how long were you shedding? Any response would be appreciated

Helpful Tips

Menopause
The age of is not certain,It may at the age below 40. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.